Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reynolds & Crowe Mendlesham, Suffolk

Hi

I have Susanna Crowe married to George Edwin Reynolds on 28 Apr 1836 in Mendlesham, Suffolk. I have discovered that George Edwin's father was Reynolds, John Boot & Shoe Maker Mendlesham from ALPHABETICAL SURNAME INDEX TO PIGOT & CO. DIRECTORY OF SUFFOLK, ENGLAND 1823 - 1824 Indexed by David Kolle, Melbourne, Australia 1994. I believe his wife was Susanna Keeble.

I can find no trace of Susanna Crowe's bapt c 1816 in Mendlesham although she states she was born there in the census.

Thank you
    Nona
    Last edited by Nona; 08-02-13, 14:27. Reason: Found information on Susanna Moore being single at her marriage
    ;D NONA
    VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR Som/Glos COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, BROWN Ledbury, Bromyard, Herefordshire, Worcs, NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent, CROWE, REYNOLDS Suffolk, CARLSON/CHARLSON Sweden/E Ldn, COX Wilts 'Trego STILES', DORTON Middx, Surrey
    PROBABLE IMPOSSIBILITIES ARE TO BE PREFERRED TO IMPROBABLE POSSIBILITIES - ARISTOTLE

Hi Nona

which census records do you have please.. I'm having a little trouble in finding information.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
      Hi Nona

which census records do you have please.. I'm having a little trouble in finding information.
      is ok I have found her now in the census. :smilee:
      Julie

Comment

is it possible she was much older than she claimed?

Comment

I think that maybe you need to be looking at villages around the Mendlesham area, it might be that her parents moved there when she was small and so she presumes that is where she is from, do you have her parents on any census at all? [I should add there is another Susanna CROWE born in Mendlesham abt. 1814/16] she appears on the 1851 census though, here:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1851&indiv=1 so not 'your' one.

does seem very odd though that there should be two with the same name claiming to be born in the same place at the same time..
          Julie

Comment

Hi
            Thank you for your replies. It's been a while since I added a thread so I forgot the info I should have put up.

Susannah Reynolds nee Crowe
            I have the following death
            Deaths Dec 1896
            Reynolds Susannah aged 77 Lambeth 1d 186 - her daughter Maria [my ancestor] had moved to Surrey by the 1901 Census.

Susannah had moved to London with her family by the 1851 Census
            1841 Class: HO107; Piece: 1023; Book: 12; Civil Parish: Mendlesham; County: Suffolk; Enumeration District: 3; Folio: 32; Page: 7; Line: 3 - aged 25 [+ or - to nearest 5.
            1851 Class: HO107; Piece: 1550; Folio: 306; Page: 22 aged 36
            1861Class: RG 9; Piece: 283; Folio: 28; Page: 8 aged 47
            1871 Class: RG10; Piece: 544; Folio: 44; Page: 14 age 5? is illegible
            1881 Class: RG11; Piece: 460; Folio: 55; Page: 32 aged 62
            1891 Class: RG12; Piece: 305; Folio: 135; Page: 8 aged 76

Can't find her after 1901

I did think of looking further afield as if she was a toddler when her parents moved she would assume she was born there.

I noticed the other Susannah Crowe in the 1851 census and she is a widow with a family. She could be a cousin of my Susannah and she is a Beerhouse keeper, which is what my Susannah's daughter Maria became in London. My Susannah was married and in London at this time.

Thank you
            Regards Nona
            ;D NONA
            VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR Som/Glos COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, BROWN Ledbury, Bromyard, Herefordshire, Worcs, NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent, CROWE, REYNOLDS Suffolk, CARLSON/CHARLSON Sweden/E Ldn, COX Wilts 'Trego STILES', DORTON Middx, Surrey
            PROBABLE IMPOSSIBILITIES ARE TO BE PREFERRED TO IMPROBABLE POSSIBILITIES - ARISTOTLE

Comment

"Widow" Crowe shouldn't cause confusion about bp entries, though, as she wasn't a Crowe by birth. Nor should there be a census problem as both ladies were married by 1841 and Susannah (nee Crowe) had had a change of name.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thank you Janet. I meant to say cousin by marriage
                Regards Nona
                ;D NONA

Comment

Working...
                X