• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mancester Records new on Ancestry

Manchester, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1915

1702491 06/02/2013

Manchester, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1985

917791 05/02/2013

Manchester, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1573-1812 (Cathedral)

376533 05/02/2013

Manchester, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1901 (Cathedral)

282956 05/02/2013

Manchester, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1930 (Cathedral)

409330 05/02/2013

Manchester, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1866 (Cathedral)

42850 05/02/2013

Manchester, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1541-1812

1186882 05/02/2013

Manchester, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1930

Linda

they're fascinating!!

so far I have proved that the baptism that I thought was my gt grandmother's, was NOT ...............fathers had very different jobs!

I have to start again with her

But I have also solved many more problems.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Great Sylvia..although now you have lts of more searching to do.

Linda

Comment

I have found lots of baptisms marriages and burials which match up the the census and freebmd records, except for the earliest generation of my Eccles family, which has me more confused than ever !!
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I wonder if anyone who has access to these records could do a Look-up for me please?

(My subs to Ancestry have expired).

I've looked at the Manchester records on FMP, but can't find anything there.

I'm looking for my late Grandfather, William James Wilson, who was apparantly born in Manchester in 1860/'61. His father was William Wilson, Occupation: Mason.

Despite years of searching I'm unable to find William James Wilson anywhere prior to his Marriage to my Grandmother in Swansea in June 1893. It would be amazing to find a Birth or Baptismal entry for him.

Many Thanks, Holly.

Comment

For those of you without a sub to Ancestry. Did you know that you can access Parish records for Manchester and the whole of Lancashire free on http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/

This is a wonderful resource for people researching Lancashire ancestors. I am imdepted to the wonderful people who have transcribed these records & are still transcribing & adding to this site on a almost daily basis.

Many thanks to them.

Wanda

Comment

Originally posted by wanda houghton View Post
              For those of you without a sub to Ancestry. Did you know that you can access Parish records for Manchester and the whole of Lancashire free on http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/

This is a wonderful resource for people researching Lancashire ancestors. I am imdepted to the wonderful people who have transcribed these records & are still transcribing & adding to this site on a almost daily basis.

Many thanks to them.

Wanda
              I agree that it's an amazing resource, Wanda.

I've spent ages searching on there, but can't find a Birth or Baptism for a William James Wilson born in 1860/'61.

That's why I was hoping the new records on Ancestry might turn up something new...

Best Wishes, Holly.

Comment

According to the Lancs BMD site there is no record of a William James Wilson being born 1860/61 in the Manchester area, although there is one born 1864 at Chorlton On Medlock, which was incorporated into the city of Manchester in 1838. Obviously you would have to buy the birth cert to rule this one out because unlike the baptism record it doesnt give the parents names. Some areas of Lancashire have had the mothers maiden name added but unfortunatly not the Manchester records

Best Wishes Wanda.

Comment

Many thanks for looking Wanda.

I've tried to follow through that William James Wilson via the records on FMP. As you say, there is a William James Wilson born Chorlton, April/May/June Quarter of 1864. On the 1871 Census he seems to be in Congleton, Cheshire with parents William and Emma Cobbe(?) who are both Silk Weavers. He is down as 'son'. And after that he disappears! I can't find a definate match on any of the later Censuses...

My Grandfather William James Wilson gives his age on his Marriage Cert in 1893 as 32yrs. He's 40 on the 1901 Census for Wales, and 51 on the 1911 Census for Wales. He died in Hendon in December 1937, and his age is given as 77yrs.

It's a puzzle...!!

Holly.

Comment

I've looked, and cannot see anything on the ancestry records

There is a James Wilson baptised on 29 September 1861, birth date 6 March 1861, at Manchester Cathedral .... with father William and mother Mary Ann

unfortunately .............. William's occupation is WEAVER, not Stone Mason!!!

is it possible that William James invented a father??????
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post

I'm looking for my late Grandfather, William James Wilson, who was apparantly born in Manchester in 1860/'61. His father was William Wilson, Occupation: Mason.
                      nothing likely showing up for the cathedral. there is one b.1864 saddleworth, but the father is a woolen weaver. asides from that, nothing shows up either. do you have him in the census at all? he may be illegitimate or lying about his age......

Comment

There is also a James Wilson baptised 1860 in Clitheroe, with father William ...... unfortunately this in the England and Wales Christening Records, and there is no image to look at, so I cannot see any occupation for the father

England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906

James Wilson born 31 May 1860, baptised 17 Jun 1860, Clitheroe, Lancashire
                        Father's name William Wilson; mother's Name: Alice

sylvia

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                          I've looked, and cannot see anything on the ancestry records

There is a James Wilson baptised on 29 September 1861, birth date 6 March 1861, at Manchester Cathedral .... with father William and mother Mary Ann

unfortunately .............. William's occupation is WEAVER, not Stone Mason!!!

is it possible that William James invented a father??????
                          Many thanks for looking Sylvia.

I've been trying to find him for nearly 40yrs now... and there's obviously something not quite right about the info that he gives!

It's quite possible that he was illegitimate/his father died when he was very young and his mother re-married/he changed or altered his name for some unknown reason/he made up the details about his father on his Marriage Cert for the benefit of the family he was marrying into...

Perhaps I shall never know...:-(

It is very perplexing,
                          Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                            nothing likely showing up for the cathedral. there is one b.1864 saddleworth, but the father is a woolen weaver. asides from that, nothing shows up either. do you have him in the census at all? he may be illegitimate or lying about his age......
                            Hi kylejustin,

I have him on the 1901 and 1911 Censuses for Wales. On the 1901 he's living at 113 St Helens Road, Swansea, aged 40yrs, place of birth, Manchester, Lancs. Occupation: House Painter.
                            On the 1911 he's at 93 St Helens Road, aged 51yrs, POB: Manchester, Lancs. Occupation: Painter & Decorator.

I can't find him on any of the earlier Censuses...:-(
                            Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                              There is also a James Wilson baptised 1860 in Clitheroe, with father William ...... unfortunately this in the England and Wales Christening Records, and there is no image to look at, so I cannot see any occupation for the father

England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906

James Wilson born 31 May 1860, baptised 17 Jun 1860, Clitheroe, Lancashire
                              Father's name William Wilson; mother's Name: Alice

sylvia
                              Hi sylvia,

This one is quite exciting, - because I have a theory that his mother's name was Alice(!)

(One of William James Wilson's son was registered as a girl for the first three months of his life, & named 'Alice Rencella Wilson'. Three months later his gender was reassigned as a 'Clerical Error' & his name was changed to 'Ernest Rencella Wilson'.

I can't see this James Wilson on the later Censues though...
                              Holly.

Comment

Originally posted by wanda houghton View Post

Many thanks to them.

Wanda
                                Hi, i have to agree with you about Lancashire online parish records. They do a brilliant job.
                                Although the Manchester records have now gone on-line with one of the commercial site, it is the transcribes from the Online parish clerks project that i find help more many a time.
                                Sometime the original images are hard to read and you can't always make out an address but with a little search of other records from the same parish, you sometime find the same address.
                                M&SFH

Comment

Originally posted by Holly View Post
                                  Hi sylvia,

This one is quite exciting, - because I have a theory that his mother's name was Alice(!)

(One of William James Wilson's son was registered as a girl for the first three months of his life, & named 'Alice Rencella Wilson'. Three months later his gender was reassigned as a 'Clerical Error' & his name was changed to 'Ernest Rencella Wilson'.

I can't see this James Wilson on the later Censues though...
                                  Holly.
                                  OK, I think I can rule him out...

In 1911 he's still living in Clitheroe, married to Margaret Wilson, and working as a District Council Labourer...
                                  And so he can't be my Grandfather!

Holly.

Comment

Working...
                                  X