No announcement yet.

Albert Burfield in Australia 1912?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: Albert Burfield in Australia 1912?

Please can anyone in Australia do a look up for Albert Edward Burfield born 1888/9 Bildeston,Suffolk,England, who sailed to Australia on the "Ballarat" departed London 7/9/1912. He was the father of a daughter born 1910 and fostered out of the family, born to Nellie Alice Morton born 1889. I am unable to find Nellie after the 1911 census when she was living in Devon and her place of birth given as London,England Did she follow Albert to Australia at a later date, I found a Nellie Morton sailed 1913/1915 but no date of birth given . There was a court case for maintenance for the child in 1910. I would be very grateful.

sunny R
    Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 08-02-13, 12:07.

I don't know if it helps at all but there are 19 pages of WW1 Australian Army service papers for an Albert Edward Burfield (is this the right name because you've said Burleigh as well?)

It gives his mother as his next of kin

Jackie

Comment

Thanks very much Jackie, that's my man, and his Mum was previously Burfield, his brother was killed in action in 1915 at Gallipolli. Can you see a possible marriage or death for Albert .

sunny x

Comment

I don't have access to any particular Australian records (I'm in the UK) but if you search here and put the surname in the search box there is another record that may be of interest. Can't put the details here because its a WW2 record and I don't know if the person concerned is still living. Unfortunately you can't see the actual record for it online but it may give you something to work on.

Sorry if that sounds a bit cryptic but if you want a better explanation, PM me. I confuse myself sometimes ;)
        Jackie

Comment

Rosy - there are some Australian Electoral Rolls on Ancestry. Looking at a couple of things Jackie found for you there seems as if there might be a New South Wales connection.
          In the 1930s Albert Edward Burfield is shown in the NSW electoral rolls living with a Mary Catherine Burfield, who I suppose could be his wife.

Did he really leave Nellie behind! :(
          Elaine

Comment

.. and public tree on Ancestry (although contains very little info) but might be worth contacting the submitter
            Elaine

Comment

Thanks Jackie. Thanks Elaine, I think the fact that there was a court case for maintenance for the child of Albert and Nellie, really demonstrates the fact that it prolly wasn't a loving relationship and that Nellie gave up her baby, sort of confirms that.(besides the fact that she prolly didn't have the opportunity to keep her. ) But where on earth did Nellie come from and where did she go after 1911 , that's what's bugging me. Looks like he did marry Mary catherine Carroll. I will contact the tree owner, but looks a bit of a sketchy tree doesn't it. My friend was delighted that it appears he has a grandfather after all.
              I still haven't heard from my cousin in Oz, perhaps I'll email her again, for some lookups.

sunny x
              Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 08-02-13, 15:57.

Comment

I have had a reply from the tree owner about Albert, he did marry Mary Catherine Carroll and had two more children , one of whom ,a daughter is still alive. Albert died in 1955.

sunny

Comment

Hi Sunny

According to the New South Wales Marriage & Death Index, Albert may have been married several times:

The Registry was formed in 1856 to register life events in New South Wales accurately and securely for all time, ensuring their integrity and confidentiality. All our over the counter services are available at Service NSW centres.

MARRIAGES

Registration No. Groom Bride District
                  520/1919 BURFIELD, Albert E CARROLL, Mary C Sydney
                  4533/1943 BURFIELD, Albert Edward BLACKWOOD, Louisa Lawrence Newcastle
                  1015/1948 BURFIELD, Albert Edward SHEARER, Olga May Newton
                  18096/1949 BURFIELD, Albert Edward MACDONALD, Iris Pearl Canterbury
                  18096/1949 BURFIELD, Albert Edward MCDONALD, Iris Pearl Canterbury

DEATHS

Registration No. Name Parents District
                  23687/1941 BURFIELD, Mary Catherine Matthew & Johannah Petersham
                  23921/1948 BURFIELD, Louisa Lawrence William & Hannah Lawrence Randwick
                  7664/1955 BURFIELD, Albert Edward Sydney Herbert & Charlotte Sydney

The Ryerson Index http://www.ryersonindex.org/ has:
                  Sydney Morning Herald 02 Jun 1955 – Death Notice: Albert Edward BURFIELD died 01 Jun 1955 age 66, at RGH Concord, late of Lakemba

There are also several newspaper articles available on http://trove.nla.gov.au/ if you put “Albert Edward Burfield” in the search field.

Happy hunting

Vivian

Comment

Thanks so much for all the info Vivian, I appreciate the work that has gone into the search. You obviously couldn't find a death for Olga, maybe they were divorced? He is defo my person, his parents verify that.

sunny xx

Comment

Sunny, I'm not sure what you can see with the marriage results Vivian has given to you, but did he not have a son named Albert Edward Burfield. Could some of the marriages relate to him?
                      Elaine

Comment

Yes Elaine, I could verify that with the tree owner I contacted, she mentioned the son, already passed on though. I haven't heard back from her since I gave her details of his life here, it was a lot to take in and I had to be very discreet about it. Roll on the 15th for the marriage cert for Nellie.!"!!!!

sunny x

Comment

Fingers crossed it's the right Nellie!
                          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                            Fingers crossed it's the right Nellie!
                            Yes. The death registration for Nellie Sinfield in Lambeth 1952 gave her dob as 1883 , her hubby died in Ealing 1953 he was born 1885 . Hoping the marriage cert will say she was Nellie Alice, gives her father's name and I can check back through the census and if she's not with him on the 1911 or close by, I suppose she could poss: be my Nellie, bless her. Oh and that she may have had a sister Annie (who poss: visited Irene )What a run around!!!!

sunny xx
                            Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 10-02-13, 13:21. Reason: to add details

Comment

Hi Sunny

I think the marriage to Louise Lawrence BLACKWOOD may be to your Albert Edward as her Funeral Notice below mentions “Stepmother.”

TROVE website - Extract from the “Sydney Morning Herald 19 August 1948”:
                              BURFIELD. - The Relatives and Friends of Mr. A. E. Burfield and Family, of 37 Wansey Road, Randwick, are invited to attend the Funeral of his dearly beloved Wife and their loving Stepmother, LOUISE LAWRENCE BURFIELD to leave the Kinsela Chapels, Taylor Square, Darlinghurst, To-morrow (Friday), after service to commence at 10.45 a.m., for the Eastern Suburbs Crematorium. Charles Kinsela Pty. Ltd., A.F.D.A. (Estab. 1830) Taylor Square, Darlinghurst. Phones FA4136 7 8

There is also a Funeral Notice for his first wife Mary Catherine - Sydney Morning Herald 6 Oct 1941.

regards

Vivian

Comment

This looks useful. If you just surname in you get several hits incuding what looks like your man and wives

Jackie

Comment

Thankyou Vivian and Jackie, I think the marriages with Olga Shearer and Iris McDonald could be Albert edward junior, he was son of the first marriage . I'll look to see if i can find Olga and Iris on any trees on ancestry.

sunny

Comment

I am more confused than ever now. I have been looking at the electoral rolls on Ancestry and found Albert Edward with Iris Pearl and Albert Edward with Olga May. Albert and Olga were hoteliers. So one of the newspaper bits found was that Albert accused of fraud . So did dad marry one and son marry the other? Now gonna look see if iris pearl was on her own after 1955,when Albert snr died.

sunny

Comment

Right i think I have sussed it out. From looking at the electoral rolls again, this is what i think......Albert snr married Iris Pearl in 1949, after Louisa had passed, iris appears on the electoral roll after Albert snr died and her address was 37.Wansey Road as that given at Louisa's passing. and Albert junior married Olga in 1948. Albert Junior was the hotelier. Phew!!!!

sunny

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny Rosy View Post
                                        Albert Junior was the hotelier. Phew!!!!
                                        Maybe they were both hoteliers!
                                        If you look at the electoral rolls for Albert Edward Burfield, 1930 - living with Mary Catherine Burfield, Albert is shown as hotelkeeper!

What you need to work out now is which one was in court for fraud!
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X