Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pleading again . . help with Doreen Davey

Hi folks,

The UK rod caught record for a Spring salmon is held a by a woman, Miss Doreen Davey, who caught a 59 1/2lb salmon from the River Wye on 13th March 1923.
    (Ladies hold a disproportionate number of angling records)

Miss Davey lived at Kinnersley Castle in Herefordshire. Her father was Major G. W. Davey. She was fishing the Cowpond stretch of his section of the River Wye on that day . . . and spent most of the night 'landing the fish' with her gillie . . . .

" ... mother suggested I go to Biarritz with her. I said I would rather stay here ..... and catch some salmon ..."
    If anyone could put some meat on Miss Davey's bones for me I'd appreciate the help.
    Just a little background, and future ground, would help bring her to life - and any info on daddy would pad it out.

I'm scribbling a piece about Doreen which may develop into a book about Lady Anglers (well, that's what I'm filing it under) and will of course acknowledge individuals and the forum.

Sincere thanks
    Brian
    Brian

maybe....

Births Jun 1900

Davey- Doreen Llewellen

Barton R 6a 250

Major Davey, inventor of the Davy Fire Escape,

with wife Bessie and daughter Doreen at Lyston Court, Wormelow, Nr Hereford, described as a gentleman (the Davey family lived there until 1959.)

Maybe not the right davey family then
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 07-02-13, 21:27.
    Jess

Comment

1911 - 10 year old Doreen Llewellen Davey was living at Lyston Court, Wormelow, near Hereford with her father 38 year old George William Davey, gentleman and mother Bessie Llewellen Davey aged 33. I thin k it says JP next to gentleman in George's entry. There were also 8 servants in the household.
      Last edited by JudithM; 07-02-13, 21:24.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you - was it my Doreen who married a Pryce-Jenkin?

You're so quick!
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by BrianT View Post
          Thank you - was it my Doreen who married a Pryce-Jenkin?

You're so quick!
          Could well be. Doreeen L Davey married Francis J Price-Jenkin. The marriage index only gives middle initial L so can't be sure, but place, Hereford and date, Quarter 4 1935, would work.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

George William Davey of Kinnersley Castle was with the RASC in WW1
            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Bessie Llewellen Mallinson M George William Davey Bradford on Avon Wiltshire Q2 1899

Bessie Mallinson, born about 1878 was Daughter of Edward Mallinson & Alice nee Palmer .( Q4 1876 Bradford on Avon Wiltshire)

Edward was a Woollen Cloth Manufacturer in Huddersfield in 1881 , and looks quite 'well to do' employng a governess for his children, as well as other staff.
              Jess

Comment

Extract from "Fish, Food from the Waters"
                The annual volume of the proceedings of the Oxford Symposium, the longest-running colloquy on food and food history in the western world. The subject of this year's discussions was not just fish but the diet of fishermen, and any foodstuff that may be culled from the waters, such as seaweed.
                Elaine

Comment

Thank you all again.

Elaine, I'd seen that link - the info contained in it came from "The Tale of a Wye Fisherman", by H. A. Gilbert (I believe)

I know the Castle's home site says Major Davey was the inventor of the Davy Fire Escape - I'm not yet convinced, but I'll look in Patents as soon as I get time.
                  I know the Major became Sheriff of Herefordshire for at least a couple of years.

I wonder if there are any descendants around today?
                  Brian

Comment

Hi Brian
                    If you want to go forward it shouldn't be too difficult. I can't put names on here as I haven't found deaths for the following, but if the marriage on #5 is the correct one and it does look very likely, then I found the following quite easily.

A birth of a daughter Christian names M... E A Dec 1939 Radnor E - a marriage for that daughter in Dec 1962 to a Clay in Ross Herefordshire - A likely daughter of that marriage in 1964 Stroud Gloucestershire - a likely marriage for that daughter in June 1990 in Ross, Gloucestershire/Herefordshire to a Stephenson - no apparent children found. However, there is someone on GR named Robin who has the first daughter i.e. M... E A Pryce-Jenkin on their tree. He has the surname Clay.

Perhaps he could help to fill in some gaps? Sorry to sound so vague but, as I said, I can't see any obvious deaths quickly. I'm sure you will find them quite easily though if you think they may help. If you need any help finding them just PM me.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thank you Chrissie.
                      All good info to have, or at least to know it's available.

Let me see how I get on ....
                      Brian

Comment

Ok Brian I'm here if you need help.
                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                        X