Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please in proving or disproving something

Hi

My distant grandparent is Ann Brown born c1828, who married Thomas Elliott in 1851 in Newcastle Upon Tyne. On the marriage certificate she lists her father as Thomas Brown a bookbinder and through someone helpful here I managed to find a Thomas Brown born in Newcastle and a bookbinder, living with family in Sheffield.

In 1841 Thomas is married to Eliza and has 3 children Sarah Jane born in 1831, Mary Ann born in 1837 and George Wortley Brown born in 1840/1. Thomas married Eliza Wortley in 1840 in Sheffield so she is not the mother of the girls. Sarah Jane was born in Grantham and I have found a baptism with mother Rebecca. Thomas Brown married Rebecca Wortly (Elizas sister!) in 1827 in Rotherham so this date matches for her being Ann's mother (if these are indeed the right people).

I cannot find a baptism for Ann, nor can I find her in 1841 however with a name like Ann Brown and no other known associates at that time its pretty tough. Apart from 1891 when Ann is living with her son and he lists her birth place as Gateshead, she is constantly listed as being born in Newcastle.

So apart from Thomas, I have no proof that he is actually the father I think he is. Has anyone got any clues?
    Last edited by Lensgirl; 07-02-13, 16:51.
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Have you thought of looking at naming patterns of the children to see if the names of the father and of the mother may be a clue

Edna

Comment

Unfortunately theres not much help there. first son born William Thomas (possibly taken from both fathers names), David, Mary Ann and Margaret. Thomas Elliott's mother is Isabella so they dont appear to have taken any sort of route that way
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

I have found a family in a place called Shilbottle in Northumberland a Thomas Brown and wife Mary have a daughter Ann baptised 23rd March 1828 and a son William Algerron Brown baptised 9th Aug 1835 C02446-8 familysearch

has this place any meaning to you.

Edna
        Last edited by clematised; 07-02-13, 19:24.

Comment

No unfortunatly not, in the Northumberland area I have only seen Newcastle and Bootle. Im just trying to find William Algerron to see if there is something there
          Robyne

Comment

http://www.genuki.bpears.org.uk/NBL/...tle/index.html I see there may be some distance between Newcastle and Shilbottle as in Genuki page here

Edna

about 30 miles
            Last edited by clematised; 07-02-13, 19:53.

Comment

nudged up

Comment

thanks Val!
                Robyne

Comment

Just wondered if you had come across this sad news in the paper for a son born earlier

Sheffield Independent 22 April 1837
                  Thursday, George Vasey Brown, a little boy, son of Thomas Brown, a bookbinder, in Brown-street, set his clothes on fire and was so much burnt, that he died yesterday.

popped into Sheffield Indexers

Brown, George Vasey (of Sheffield, born 1834-02-25).
                  Baptised December 7, 1834, by Wm Carter at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.
                  Parents name(s) are Rebecca & Thomas (Bookbinder).

Brown, Mary Ann (of Sheffield, born 1836-10-22).
                  Baptised November 27, 1836, by Wm Harris at Sheffield Parish Church, Church Street, Sheffield.
                  Parents name(s) are Rebecca & Thomas (Bookbinder).
                  Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                  http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Hi Elaine

thanks very much for that, very very sad about George and also helps narrow down who Thomas' parents are. This Mary Ann appears in the 1841 census with Thomas and his new wife Eliza (who I believe is the sister of Rebecca!), along with Elizabeth aged 12 and Sarah aged 10.
                    Last edited by Lensgirl; 20-05-16, 12:04.
                    Robyne

Comment

Could it be possible Ann was born before the marriage?

Comment

Working...
                      X