No announcement yet.

Warning for 'Unsafe Site'.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning for 'Unsafe Site'.............

Last night, I went into the site for my library and had a notice that it's 'Security certificate has expired' and that the site was unsafe and words to the effect that I proceed at my own peril.

Surely this can't be right - no hacker is going to attempt to half-hitch a Local Government site?? I can call in there tomorrow, but this has me mystified.

Any thoughts.......

Gwyn
    Freya - a lovely, funny human-friendly disaster waiting to happen....

Certificates are used to verify the identity of the website among other things. It is most likely that the certificate has only just expired and the admins haven't loaded the new one yet. Doesn't mean anything is wrong with the site.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

The only thing which bothered me, Wendy, is that I sneaked a look at the site. I keep my details logged in (being lazy), so that I just have to press 'Log in', but they didn't show, so I quit rather quickly!

Gwyn

Comment

A certificate is needed to allow swapping of encryption keys to keep data safe while it is being passed between your PC and the website server.
        Without a current certificate, it cannot correctly do this process, hence you not seeing that you can automatically log-in as you are used to because your web browser is stopping any automatic log-in as part of its security features.

This should clear up when they renew their certificate
        Find help and how-to articles for Windows operating systems. Get support for Windows and learn about installation, updates, privacy, security and more.
        Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 07-02-13, 20:21.

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks for the links, Trevor.

Gwyn

Comment

Working...
          X