Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mary (Murray) Danskin - where was she in 1881? Family in Northumberland.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary (Murray) Danskin - where was she in 1881? Family in Northumberland.

I am trying to find Mary Ann Danskin (nee Murray) on the 1881 census. Her husband, Ralph Danskin, born 1837 in Lemington is shown as married, children listed (Mary Elizabeth, Joseph M., Robert, Thomas, Sarah, John William), but no wife at home at the time of the census. Living in Lamesley. Ths surname has been mistranscribed as DAUSKIN in several transcriptions of the 1881 census (including ancestry.com). Mary is on the 1871 census. Ralph is shown as a widower on the 1891 census. Also have not been able to find a death record. Last child was born in May 1875. Did she died before the 1881 census and the "married' notation is an error, was she somewhere else on census day 1881, or did she die sometime between 1881 and 1891? This is one of my longstanding "brick walls" so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi
    There's a Mary Danskin age 44 buried on 25th Jan 1890 at Sedgefield, St Edmund the Bishop, Co. Durham. Could this be her?
    Moggie

Comment

You two are clever I just gave up

Comment

just looked at that 1881 link Elaine how sad if thats her ?

Comment

Sad story, but M.D. was born in the wrong place. Mary was born in Newcastle, father was Thomas Murray. Tried seeing if she was home with her parents but no luck. Don't know enough about her siblings to determine if she was visiting one of them.

Comment

Thanks to Moggie and Elaine - I'll check out the one Moggie found and see if that's the right person.

Comment

Susieq13

The 1871 census has Mary being born in Wallsend which includes Willington/Willington Quay so that could be her in the Northumberland 1881 census that Elaine posted. The family were living in Northumberland at that time.

The post Moggie put up has a burial for 1890 in St Edmunds the Bishop. Durham Records on line has a Mary Danskin dying at the Asylum, Sedgfield, also known as Winterton Hospital. Ralph by then had moved to Lamesley, Durham.

If you feel this is your Mary Ann she rests with my own great grandfather, William, who died at the Asylum aged 38.

There is a lot of literature and a book on the Winterton Hospital.

Vera
              Last edited by vera2013; 09-02-13, 01:23.

Comment

don't forget that many women were put in asylums for the flimsiest of reasons ..........

menopause

refusing to have another child

not wanting marital relations with their husband, especially if they had just given birth

postpartum depression

etc etc etc
                My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                X