• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manchester parish records

now on Ancestry
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

There has also been a Manchester collection on Findmypast for a while now - includes some prison, workhouse, school registers - so anyone with Manchester ancestry has access to quite a lot of online resources!
    Elaine

Comment

I usually check ancestry for new records but I hadn't today. I was hoping that Manchester parish records night appear on ancestry as I have a few that might be included. Just had a quick look to see if I could see any Bowins - at least one is there so I might be busy on ancestry this morning!! I was wondering which branch/branches to look at today. Answer provided.

Sandra

Comment

that's quite interesting, i wonder if they have similar coverage to fmp? i know my ancestors were from a modern suburb of manchester, which was a village outside of it in the 18th century. manchester did not have their records.

Comment

there are 2 separate parts to the collection, one is just manchester cathedral, the other is the surrounding area to manchester, and does include didsbury. i'm going to be a very happy camper!

Comment

There's also a lot of Manchester parish stuff available at http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
            Christine
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Managed to find a few baptisms and a couple of marriages (three different branches of my family tree). What I would really like is for Ancestry to add Sheffield Parish records. Here's hopping!!

Sandra

Comment

Found my Grandpa's christening record - thank you very much
                Angelina

Comment

I found 2 more baptisms and deaths for children of my 4xg grandparents, so sad. Lots of other little mysteries solved, and some more dug up ! And yet more transcription and clerical variations for ECCLES, on top of all the ones I already have from the census.
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia
                  Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

I thought I had found my gt grandmother's baptism on the Manchester records on familysearch ........... right period of time (1850/51), correct parents names ...........

the new records on ancestry also have the Parish Register image, which I could not see on familysearch

.............. it was not Hannah's baptism .............. at least not unless her father went from being an Engineer on the 1851 Census to an India Rubber Manufacturer 2 months later, to a Stationary Engine Driver (= Engineer) in 1861 and subsequent censuses :o

I've spent hours on there ....... have found lots of births and marriages for siblings of my direct ancestors, with some new information when witnesses are involved.

BUT I have not yet found MY Hannah Gar(t)side's baptism ............... so I still am not sure of her actual birth date! It's such a common name!
                    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                    X