Help with place name please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with place name please

On the 1861 census for Ann Chaplin aged 50, I'm struggling to read the place of birth in Berkshire. On the 1851 it just said Berkshire and I think she died in 1867 so there are no other entries for reference.

RG9, piece 9, folio 4, page 7

Can anyone make it out please?

Thanks
    Jackie

I would say Mapledurham, just on the outside of Reading. It's now in Oxfordshire.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thanks Linda, that looks probable. The county change explains why I couldn't see anything likely in Berkshire.

It looks like it might be a nice place to visit
      Jackie

Comment

It's just up the road from me - don't think I've been to the village, but have definitely driven past the golf course on a few occasions. Probably why I thought of the name as soon as I saw the entry!
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

'Mapple' sommat or other..
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
            'Mapple' sommat or other..
            That's as far as I'd got ;D I even thought it might begin with W or N. It took me an age to decipher that her occupation was wardrobe dealer (2nd hand clothes as far as I can work out) because of the writing. I think Linda's idea is a good one
            Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
              That's as far as I'd got ;D I even thought it might begin with W or N. It took me an age to decipher that her occupation was wardrobe dealer (2nd hand clothes as far as I can work out) because of the writing. I think Linda's idea is a good one
              yep, would trade directories help? and at least you have something to 'go on' to look for a bapt too.
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Just up the road from where I grew up. There's a very old (partly 15th century) mill there, which is still working.
                Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                  It looks like it might be a nice place to visit
                  or you could watch the film "The Eagle Has Landed" .... that was filmed in and around the village in the 1970s.
                  Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                  Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
                  X