Two policemen accused - 1938

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two policemen accused - 1938

FMP has reports from four provincial newspapers of June 1938 relating to two Metropolitan policeman accused of breaking and entering at Sidcup, Kent. The two individuals, both now deceased, were Roland Smith, 36, and Berkley Weatherburn, 39, and both appeared at Bromley Court on 20/6/1938 charged with the theft of £4 8s 2d from a shop and the theft of 540 cigarettes from a tennis club. They were remanded for a week on £50 bail plus a Surety of £50 each.
    These were hardly crimes of the century but the more serious because they were policemen and, for all I know, may have been the tip of the proverbial iceberg.
    One of these men is a twig in my family tree but I have been unable to find any subsequent report in later newspapers on FMP, so do not know whether they were acquitted or convicted.
    My library does not have access to Gales newspaper site and, as I do not know of another site, can anyone suggest one please?

merleyone

You could try the Daily Express / Mirror archives. Pay site. Search on Weatherburn and there's at least one hit.

Daily Express, Fri 15 Jul 1938 Page 7
    "they stood before Judge Beazley whose lace was stern as he said You were members of a igreat Force You have betrayed the trust put in you The price Weatherburn"
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

I've sent you PM. (For anyone else, I have a good article for merleyone)
      Last edited by keldon; 05-02-13, 17:01.
      Phil
      historyhouse.co.uk
      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

They were sentenced at the Central Criminal Court (The Old Bailey) ......Weatherburn got 4 years penal servitude (3 charges of shopbreaking and larceny and he asked for 15 other offences to be taken into consideration), Smith got 3 years (3 offences of breaking and entering and 8 others taken into consideration) and another constable, Bernard Emby, got 15 months for receiving.

It was reported in The Times 15/7/1938
        Last edited by AntonyM; 05-02-13, 17:30.
        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Phil and Antony M

many thanks to you both for your kind help. Now knowing this outcome, certain other events around that time fall into place.

merleyone

Comment

Working...
          X