Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interpretation of writing on back of photograph??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interpretation of writing on back of photograph??

I have discovered an old photograph. It looks like a soldier from the First World War. The back of the photograph is a Post Card. No sign of a stamp so don't think its been posted at any time.

Under the Communication side, hand written in pencil it reads "Mrs. Hall, 20 Edison Street, Murton". There is a part of a label stuck over a section of this inscription which read "M. FIS....262 W....... below this is a handwritten number 7154 and underneath on the post card the word "Copy" is written.

To the right of the post card below the Address Only is handwritten (again in pencil)
    Pnr. J. Armstrong
    R.E.
    Blightly all the time

I know that Mrs. Hall was living at 20 Edison Street in 1928 but don't know when she moved there. She was living elsewhere in 1918.

I would appreciate your comments about Pnr. J. Armstrong and the R.E. and "Blightly all the time". What could it mean. I should mention that it was found in an old box which had belonged to Mrs. Hall before her death.

Thank you.
    Last edited by Linda from Murton; 05-02-13, 14:47.
    Linda - Happy Hunting

A tidy house is the sign of a broken computer

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Pnr stands for "Pioneer" which was a rank in the Royal Engineers (RE), I believe it was for men who joined the RE but didn't have a recognised trade or skill. It was introduced in 1912 during a period when the RE was short of recruits and not officially used beyond the 1920s. Men who had a trade would join as Sappers. Both were essentially the same rank (i.e. private).

Blighty was the WW1 slang for Home or the UK.

If you can post a scanned copy of the card (both sides) that might help to decipher more.
    Last edited by AntonyM; 05-02-13, 15:47.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

As I understand it is that the 1st rank in the Royal Engineers is that of a 'Sapper.' There was a Royal Pioneer Corps however and I'm not sure of their 1st Rank. It was possible for a soldier in the Pioneer Corps to be attached to the Royal Engineers.

Comment

Thank you both for responding.

I shall try and attach the copies requested. Hope it works.

Armstrong Pnr J.(2).jpgArmstrong Pnr J. (1).jpg
        Linda - Happy Hunting

Researching: Brown, Bell, Key and Musgrave from Cumberland. Dodds, Green, Campbell, Hall, Armstrong, Davison from Co. Durham. Raymond from Devon/Cornwall.

Comment

I have found him. Although I cannot understand how a photo of him ended up with Mrs. Hall. Pnr James Armstrong 353241. Many thanks for the information which pointed me in the right direction. Off to go through his Service Record.

Don't you just love family history.

P.S. Think the comment "Blighty all the time" meant he didn't go to France.
          Last edited by Linda from Murton; 05-02-13, 16:40.
          Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

If your man was James Armstrong 353241 - his entry in the Silver War Badge records shows he served from 25-4-18 to 18-12-18 and he was discharged under Para 392XV1A because of Sickness, at the age of 22 and he never served abroad. The reference is the Kings Regulation that covered men deemed "no longer physically fit for war service" for whatever reason.
            Last edited by AntonyM; 05-02-13, 17:44.
            Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
            Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Hello AntonyM - yes this is my man. He was a coal miner and his Short Service Attestation is dated December 1915 but he wasn't called up until 25th April, 1918. I know him to be our man because of his home address. I saw that he had had no active service - thank you for the information that he was discharged because of Sickness. He was transferred to the reserves. I see that he married on the 6th December 1918 just in time for his discharge. He had a pension of 5/6d per week subject to review after 26 weeks.

Another piece of the jigsaw.
              Linda - Happy Hunting

Comment

Working...
              X