Have you got a few mins to spare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you got a few mins to spare?

On 23 Nov 1876 Paul Pozzi Escot marrys Marian Ashcroft in St Catherine's, Liverpool. The father of the groom is Benjamin Pozzi (no Escot) whose occupation looks like that of "pasteur"..........out of curiosity I tried to discover what that meant and to clarify by checking census 1871 & 1881 but couldnt get a result.
    It's not important that I know; I'm just curious after transcribing but if anyone has time I'd appreciate any comments.

French for pastor?
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Alan,

I was confused as the marriage is shown under both POZZI and POZZI ESCOT.. it looks like he was a Pastor to me..[Benjamin] though I am still looking to see if I can spot anything,
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

My guess would be something to do with pastry perhaps? In 1871 there is a Paul Pozzi aged 19 in Camden Town with an uncle Gusmia Pozzi who is a Confectioner. Both born Italy. My first thought though was a religious one.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

nope I can't see anything after the marriage, there are a couple of Paul Pozzi's but this is 1871 and I can't find anything else for them when they are married.. :(
          Julie

Comment

I like the 'pastor' suggestion Elaine.
            The plot thickens on this couple when trying to research but it's only academic.

Comment

There seems to be a French connection as Marian Pozzi-Escot dies in France in 1910.
              Probate calendar (Ancestry)
              Elaine

Comment

Alan

I have found a Benjamin POZZY a Protestant Minister native of FRANCE..

not sure what sub you have for Ancestry.. but this is from the England Alien arrivals list.

and also this:

marriage

Name: Benjamin Pozzy
                Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1859
                Registration district: Bakewell
                Inferred County: Derbyshire
                Volume Number: 7b
                Page Number: 1093

whether they are connected or not I dunno
                Last edited by Darksecretz; 04-02-13, 08:54.
                Julie

Comment

Last paragraph - extract
                  Bob and I with our 5-year old were at the Paul Pozzi-Escot de Meslon and his wife, Mme nee Marian Ashcroft, Chateau Mont-deNeyrac for dinner invited a few decades ago and indeed were able to meet many wondrous
                  people at the Bost Foundation founded 1848 by my family, at the Pozzi Hospital, the Huguenot cemetery; and also when the English nobility invited us to come from London to their castle before our daughter was born.
                  Très posh !!!
                  Elaine

Comment

ooher Elaine Tre Bien!!
                    Julie

Comment

Wow - looks like Marian Ashcroft was English nobility then Well done both.
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Merci Mesdames, Bravo!.
                        Fascinating stuff this Genealogy, you just dont know what's round the corner; wish they were on my Tree now

Comment

re pasteur

What about Louis Pasteur, 1822-1895,

he is best known for inventing a method to treat milk and wine in order to prevent it from causing sickness, a process that came to be called pasteurization.

Could what we now call "pasteurization" have been called "pasteur" in early days?? Or someone who did pasteurization be known as a pasteur????????????????????
                          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                          X