what is the parish name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the parish name?

can someone take a look at the marriage of eleazar dibb to mary hindle in 1730 at kirkby overblow in the ancestry west yorkshire parish records database please, and help decipher the name of the parish they were from?

If you look at the next page right at the top it might be the same word. The only place I can make any sense of is Stainburn. Some info on it here

This is the link to the Ancestry page if anyone else wants to loook

Jackie

Comment

Hi Kyle,

Comparing it to the parish of Mary Hardcastle (next marriage listed after your couple) it looks like Stainbourn, or Stainburn as it would be written today.

Comment

Snap, Jackie.

Comment

I think it might be a badly written Stainbourn - not 100% sure. But there was a Stainburn chapelry within the parish of Kirkby Overblow.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

so, stainburn in kirkby overblow parish? then i should in theory, be able to find their baptisms in kirkby overblow?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
              so, stainburn in kirkby overblow parish? then i should in theory, be able to find their baptisms in kirkby overblow?
              Not necessarily, Kyle. 'Of this/a parish' as written on a marriage certificate means the couple had lived in the parish for a minimum of three weeks prior to the ceremony.

Comment

Family Search has this christening, but I can't find it on Ancestry's Yorks parish register collection.

Mary Hindle 18th March 1707, Kirkby Overblow, dau of Sarah and Maior [sic] perhaps Major????

Comment

hi susan,

yes i understand the couple had residency for at least 3 weeks. like you though, i am having trouble finding records prior to the 1720's in the west yorks collection though. there used to be quite a lot of trees on ancestry that had the lineage i am researching, but i wanted to start from scratch to make sure it was right. i think it is major, there is a burial in kirkby overblow for a major hindle in the 1740's. but i have not come across 'major' as a christian name before.

Comment

. i think it is major, there is a burial in kirkby overblow for a major hindle in the 1740's. but i have not come across 'major' as a christian name before.
                    Kyle, I'm not sure if it was just common to Yorkshire but Major was a fairly popular given name there, as was Squire. I've traced all my lines back to pre 1837 and some to 1500's, so far ALL were born in Yorkshire! As you'll imagine I'm very experienced with Yorkshire names, in particular the West Riding. Also I live in Yorkshire.

I did notice a Robert Dibb was having children christened in Kirkby Overblow about the same time 'your' Eleazar was born, did 'your' Eleazar have a son named Robert? BTW, I've not come across the name Eleazar before, a Google search tells me Eleazar was a nephew of Moses, so I've learned something from your query, and thank you for that. Just goes to show how the forum teaches us all so much; and helping and sharing is a positive experience.
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-02-13, 03:46.

Comment

i am having trouble finding records prior to the 1720's in the west yorks collection though.
                      The scanned records on Ancestry show that many records were illegible. I am assuming the family search record for Mary Hindle is from Bishop's Transcripts.

Comment

Hmm! Kyle, I'm pondering over this record. I know it says 'dau of' but it also says father's name Hellen!!!, so somethings not right! Could Hellen be Eleazar??? Mind you if so, how to prove it? Are you near an LDS Centre? If you are it would be worth you ordering the LDS film to peruse.

parent Hellen Dibb, Elizth.

name Hellen Dibb
                        gender Female
                        baptism/christening date13 Nov 1708
                        baptism/christening place KIRKBY OVERBLOW,YORK,ENGLAND
                        father's name Hellen Dibb
                        mother's name Elizth.

Last edited by Guest; 03-02-13, 03:34.

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post

name Hellen Dibb
                          gender Female
                          baptism/christening date13 Nov 1708
                          baptism/christening place KIRKBY OVERBLOW,YORK,ENGLAND
                          father's name Hellen Dibb
                          mother's name Elizth.
                          it does say hellen, dau of hellen and elzth. quite weird. i think what ancestry has done is upload the LDS films for most registers. as i have seen copies of entries where i have a clear clean image, yet ancestry's is barely legible.

another issue, is ancestry has screwed up parishes and dates. betty dibb's christening for example was in 1742 at kirkby overblow, but ancestry has it in 1792. so that's hard to work with.
                          and i notice some images for harewood are actually for horsforth and vice versa.

i have emailed them about it but they havn't done anything. and these issues were there from day one of their uploading.

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
                            I did notice a Robert Dibb was having children christened in Kirkby Overblow about the same time 'your' Eleazar was born, did 'your' Eleazar have a son named Robert? BTW, I've not come across the name Eleazar before, a Google search tells me Eleazar was a nephew of Moses, so I've learned something from your query, and thank you for that. Just goes to show how the forum teaches us all so much; and helping and sharing is a positive experience.
                            i have never come across 'major' or 'squire' so that is something new! i wonder why those names.

eleazar's children were: betty 1742, eleazar 1731, robert 1738, sarah 1736-1736, william 1733 and mary 1734. there is also a bernard in kirkby overblow as well at the same time, and i can't find anything on him before children either. i do wonder if they were brothers from somewhere else, maybe north yorks.

Comment

Hi Kyle,

I agree with Susan re the christian names Major and Squire being popular in West Yorkshire. I used to work with a chap with the christian name Major and I have a relative with christian name Squire in my family tree.

Ian

Comment

Working...
                              X