Reason for being 'in the pen'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reason for being 'in the pen'

Can anyone tell me if I can find out either online or at Kew, the reason for someone being in the pen?
    My tree is saved on ancestry.

Many thanks in advance.
    Amanda

Ancestry has some criminal records.
    You could try also contemporary newspapers to see if there was a report of the arrest/trial/verdict - FMP, Bristish newspaper archives.
    There could be something in the relevant county record office. Most have an online catalogue, with a search engine, where you can enter the name. Hits won't give you access to reading the docs on line, but there may be a useful description or annotation.

What sort of year and whereabouts?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi Jay

West Ham Union Workhouse, 1911

Comment

A workhouse isn't a prison. People went there because they were poor, not because they had committed an offence.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Not really sure what "in the pen" means! If you mean why was the person in the Workhouse in 1911 ..... the reason could be that Workhouses by that date also acted as the hospitals.

Anne

Comment

I have just goggled "in the pen" and this link gives some explanations including a correctional institution for those convicted of major crimes Not sure if this helps!
            Definition of pen (penned, penning, pent) in the AudioEnglish.org Dictionary. Meaning of pen. What does pen mean? Proper usage and audio pronunciation (plus IPA phonetic transcription) of the word pen. Information about pen in the AudioEnglish.org dictionary, synonyms and antonyms.

Comment

I had assumed OP meant penitentiary! :D

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Well, thank you all for your help - I have to say, wouldn't it have been easier if I had ACTUALLY given you the right info??? So sorry, scrambled brain from researching too many people!

I am actually looking at St John the Evangelist (Middx) General Penitentiary, 1842, my ancester Edward Tullett, 40, a miller.
                Wonder if he was adding stuff to the flour or selling with dodgy weights!

Sorry again all!

Amanda

Comment

The image on Ancestry says he got 2 months for Larceny.

Hmmm - that might not be the right one because it says he's 50.

Anne
                  Last edited by Anne in Carlisle; 04-02-13, 12:25.

Comment

Working...
                  X