HENRY HITCHCOCK C.1760 Devon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HENRY HITCHCOCK C.1760 Devon

Have hit a brick wall with this one after years of trying ! Henry c.1760 was married East Budleigh Devon 1789 to Deborah Sanders (b.1763 of Woodbury East Budleigh)

They had children Martha 1790, George 1793,Mary 1796,John 1799 and it would appear Robert c.1800.( not evident in BMD's but referred to elsewhere.)

I am trying to find out anything about Henry ie. where he was born, his parents etc. I already have extensive info on his family and relatives all over East Budleigh-Woodbury-Colaton Raleigh etc. but nothing going back from him ! My information sources so far are Ancestry,FMP,IGI and DFHS.

Any help in trying to crack this one would be very much appreciated...

Thanks.

My information sources so far are Ancestry,FMP,IGI and DFHS
    FMP seems to be gradually acquiring images of the Devon church records. If you're a member of DFHS, you may already have the info that's appearing, but I'd be inclined to keep returning to FMP, because more info could turn up at any time.

I was amazingly fortunate with OH's family. Some correspondence my late MiL had retained turned out to be a genealogical goldmine, and gave me the means to get in touch with a connected family in the US. The US researcher had lots of info and was very generous with her research and her records... a big chunk of that info is now on the North Devon site devoted to local history: Explore North Devon ~ Chapman Family of Merton.

If you find that there's any chance that any of your family has roots in that general area, than that site may be worth a visit.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 30-01-13, 21:45.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you for the reply Christine, interesting you should mention FMP... I spoke to the Devon Records Office yesterday and they mentioned that FMP had been at the office some while for Parish records and had now moved on to Barnstaple for North Devon Records. They should all be transcribed and available towards the end of the year he thought ! best keep checking as you quite rightly suggest.
      Via the DFHS site, some Parishes have already been transcribed, mainly by Elizabeth Howard which have proven to be very useful in my research.

Henry it seems will continue to be a problem as I don't appear to have had many takers on FTF as yet ! He was either present in the area all along but unsupported by any evidence or he came into the area from elsewhere ?

Shall just have to keep searching...

Thanks again

Robin.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate77 View Post
        Thank you for the reply Christine, interesting you should mention FMP... I spoke to the Devon Records Office yesterday and they mentioned that FMP had been at the office some while for Parish records and had now moved on to Barnstaple for North Devon Records. They should all be transcribed and available towards the end of the year he thought ! best keep checking as you quite rightly suggest.
        Via the DFHS site, some Parishes have already been transcribed, mainly by Elizabeth Howard which have proven to be very useful in my research.

Henry it seems will continue to be a problem as I don't appear to have had many takers on FTF as yet ! He was either present in the area all along but unsupported by any evidence or he came into the area from elsewhere ?

Shall just have to keep searching...

Thanks again

Robin.
        It will be interesting to see the North Devon records - a lot of OH's maternal family came from that area.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
        X