Using the National Archives site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the National Archives site

I would really appreciate some help from anyone who has got to grips with using this! I came across some information sent me several years ago, that I hadn't followed up (illness etc.) However, I can't seem to get anywhere now!

Information as follows -

Jacob Elkan - naturalised British subject

Certificate number 23097

Dated 17 Feb 1913

File kept in NA Kew

He was born in Posen and lived in Newcastle

I would like to obtain a copy of the file, but cannot find any trace of it.:(

Is this him?

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Here's the reference for it

HO 144/1243/231429 - just put that into the Search box and it will come up. You'll have to go there to get the copies, get someone to go for you or get them to copy it - it's not online.

I found it by putting the surname into the search box and using HO (the ref for naturalisations) into the search.
      The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
      Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I just copied his name from your thread and pasted it into the search box on Discovery:

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

These Naturalisation papers can be really worth looking at - they can contain a wealth of genealogical information and other useful stuff. The last one I looked at had a sheaf of police reports on one of the people the subject had put forward as a reference. It turned out the man had been a conscientious objector in WW1 and the local Special Branch were not very happy about him being used as a character reference for the applicant !
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I've looked at LOADS of Naturalisations, including plenty for Wallaby on this site! You should get his parents names, and his place and date of birth. Very interesting, as Anthony says!
            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thankyou to everybody who responded now why didn't it come up for me??????? Never mind, I have asked for an estimate for a copy to be sent digitally. Now I have the secret, I'll try a few more people!

Comment

good luck with them, mine told me the all the names and dates of births of my great great grandfathers children.

Comment

Working...
                X