Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with tracing back.

Hi,

I am currently researching my 5x Great Grandparents, but I am struggling to find out my 5x Great Grandmothers maiden name.

The information I have is as follows:

Smith Parish/Parrish born 1792 Caldecote Cambridgeshire. Smith's wife (no marriage has been found so may not of married) was Ann ? born 1794 Ireland.

They had the following children:

Jane born c1817 Caldecote
    John born 1819 Caldecote
    James born 1821 Caldecote
    Robert born 1824 Caldecote
    Caroline born 1827 Caldecote
    Sarah born 1830 Caldecote
    Mark born 1833 Caldecote

I have found Smith and Ann on the census records, Ann gives her place of birth as Ireland on each one.

I have baptism information for all the children apart from Jane. No baptism can be found for Jane and no marriage can be found for Smith and Ann.

Smith died 1855 Caldecote and Ann died 1869 Caldecote.

I was wondering if Jane may actually be just Ann's daughter and if she was born in Ireland. Unfortunately because I do not know Ann's maiden name I cant prove this.

Is there any way I could find Ann's maiden name, or is this a brick wall that can't be knocked down?

do you know that Ann did time in prison?

Name: Ann Parish
    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1796
    Date of Trial: Michaelmas 1834
    Trial Year: 1834
    Location of Trial: Cambridgeshire, England
    Sentence: Imprisonment

Larceny -- 3months

Last edited by Darksecretz; 29-01-13, 15:54.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie,

I have seen that on Ancestry, there is also a short notice in Huntindon, Bedford & Peterborough gazette. The newspaper report states that she stole a piece of cotton print.

Comment

I am looking to see if I can find anything, did Jane marry at all? does she name smith as her father?

have you followed the children to see if any irish relations stay with them at all?? (I have looked at the 41/51 for Smith/Ann)
        Julie

Comment

ahh I see that Jane marries in 1842 naming Smith as her father, seems that Janes Husband [Elijah] is also a naughty boy...
          Julie

Comment

I can't spot anything really.. not unless Smith/Ann used an irish naming pattern for the children, that might give you some clues

First born son named after his father's father
            Second born son named after his mother's father
            Third born son named after his father
            Fourth born son named after his father's oldest brother
            Fifth born son named after his father's 2nd oldest brother
            or his mother's oldest brother

First born daughter named after her mother's mother
            Second born daughter named after her father's mother
            Third born daughter named after her mother
            Fourth born daughter named after her mother's oldest sister
            Fifth born daughter named after her mother's 2nd oldest sister
            or her father's oldest sister
            Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

Thank you for your help.

Ive found Smith and Ann on the 1841 and 51 census and also Ann on the 1861 census. They don't have any irish relatives living with them. Ive searched the census records for Caldecote to see if there are any Irish families, but unfortunately there isn't any.

Jane married Elijah Chapman and names Smith as her father, also one of her sons she gives him the middle name of Smith and another she gives as Parish.

I've tried tracing the children through the census records to see if they have any irish relatives living with them, but unfortunately I can't find any. Some of the children went to Australia.

Comment

hmmm I did wonder if you couldn't find a bapt for Jane [she said she was born in Kingston?] is that near to Caldecote? if this is in a different parish maybe, just maybe you might find some settlement records? IF she was bapt in Kingston then maybe like you say she was Anns daughter and not Smiths... might be a bapt for a Jane with mother Ann/Hannah? or maybe a marriage to Smith.. not sure really what else to suggest, not unless you look through Smiths family and see if any of his childrens names figure in with the naming pattern...
                Julie

Comment

Is it possible that Smith and Ann married in Irleland, and that Jane was born there?

She might never have realised that she was nor born in Caldecote like her siblings.

It is feasible that Smith served in the army

sylvia
                  My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Hi Sylvia and Julie,

Thank you for your help.

Unfortunately, no baptism can be found in Kingston for Jane. A kind member from here looked in the parish records for Jane's baptism and Smith's marriage. She searched in the Caldecote, Toft, Bourne and Kingston parish records and couldn't find anything.

I think it is a possibility that Jane may have been born in Ireland. I cant find any evidence that Smith was in the army, but that is another possibility.

Comment

Working...
                    X