DNA matching enigma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA matching enigma

I am looking at the match of a mother and daughter on gedmatch.com and they appear to match perfectly. All chromosomes show a complete match. I did not think this to be possible; at least exeedingly improbable.

The enigma is that they do not have the same matches to other individuals.

Originally posted by ncutshall View Post
    I am looking at the match of a mother and daughter on gedmatch.com and they appear to match perfectly. All chromosomes show a complete match. I did not think this to be possible; at least exeedingly improbable.

The enigma is that they do not have the same matches to other individuals.
    Surely half of everyone's DNA comes from each of their parents so not sure how that could be possible unless they both had the same fathers which of course would not be proper!

Welcome to FTF by the way.
    Margaret

Comment

the DNA match could be mitochondrial, in which case it would be identical.

Comment

Maybe they did it together and got mixed up with which samples they sent - ending up sending two from one of them!!! LOL

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          Just what I was abut to say. It depends what DNA they had tested. As you say, mitochondtrial DNA is passed down from the mother and would be identical.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Nice Tries

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            I am looking at autosomal data only; no x, Y or mtDNA.

A common father would not yield this result because of reombination.

I think Anne is right; incorrect data were either uplosded or downlosded. But this would not account for the vastly different matches of mother and dsughter. An adoption would also be needed to rathionalize the results. I am still puzzled.

Norman

Comment

Are we talking about autosomal tests to reveal deep ancestry/ geographical ancestry? If so, the results are generally considered scientifically unreliable due to the very limited amount of data available so far.

Otherwise I agree, processing error of toe curling inefficiency!

OC

Comment

Working...
              X