Help deciphering will from 1600's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help deciphering will from 1600's

Hi, I know its a big ask,but I am hoping someone can make sense of this will from 1634 by my 9 xG grandfather Oswald Northway.

I think you're going to have to email the image or something. Those images don't come up big enough to decipher that kid of script - or that's true for me, anyway.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

First section:

In the name of God Amen the thirteenth day of October in the tenth year of the reiyne of our Sovereignie Lord Charles and in the year of our Lord god one thousand six hundred thirtie fouwer, I Oswald Northway of Thatcham in the Countie of Berks Inholder weake in bodie but thankes be to god of good and perfecte memorie doe ordaine and make this my last will and testament in manner and forme following vizt
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

second part:

Imprimis I bequeath and commend my soule into the hands of god what gave it and will that my bodie shall be interred in the Church of Thatcham aforesaid in sure and certanie hope of mercyfull resurrection to eternall life through the Merritts of Christ my Saviour;
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Next part - not sure of a couple of words

Item I bequeath and give unto my sonne Thomas Northway and to his heirs ? forever that tenement or dwelling house together with the garden plott apperteyninge adiioyninge? and belonginge to it which I purchased and bought of Beniamyn Woods and was late in tenure possession and occupation of William Pike??

after "to his heirs" should be something like "and assigns" but it doesn't look like it. The only word it looks like is "surrogates".
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:

Comment

Next section:

Item I bequeath and give unto my said sonne Thomas Northway the sume of fourtiefour? pounds of good and lawfull money of England to be given? to him by the executor of this my last will and testament att the expiration and end of one whole yeare nexte ensuing the date of my decease if the said Thomas Northway be then lyvinge
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Next section:

Item I bequeath and give to my daughter Elizabeth Ha/d the wife of John Ham?id of Midham??? the sume of ten pounds of good and lawfull money of England to be paid to her or her assigns att the expiration and end of two years next ensuing the date of my decease if the said Elizabeth H?fi?d shall be then lyvinge

I'm struggling with Elizabeth and John's surname - I get something different each time I read it!
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:

Comment

This next section brings us up to the end of the first sheet.

Item I bequeath and give to my wellbeloved wife Johane Northway for maintenance? during her naturall life the sume of sixe pounds of good and lawfull money of England and to be paid to
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

I'm off to bed now. I won't be able to look at the rest until lunchtime tomorrow.
                  I hope the above makes sense to you, Paul.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Thanks Elizabeth,this has helped immensely,sorry to keep you up late.I was really struggling to make much sense of it all as I guess my eye is not really trained for reading this type of script.Hopefully I will get better the more I read.
                    Once again thanks for all the hard work,you are truly a star.
                    Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                      Next section:

Item I bequeath and give to my daughter Elizabeth Ha/d the wife of John Ham?id of Midham??? the sume of ten pounds of good and lawfull money of England to be paid to her or her assigns att the expiration and end of two years next ensuing the date of my decease if the said Elizabeth H?fi?d shall be then lyvinge

I'm struggling with Elizabeth and John's surname - I get something different each time I read it!
                      Hi Could the surname be Hawkins?
                      Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                        Hi Could the surname be Hawkins?
                        Moggie
                        Hawkins definitely looks a possible as there seem to a few Hawkins around in the Midgham area.

Comment

I'm getting there with the rest of it, Paul!
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

then:

to her or her assignes by the executor of this my last will and testamt yearely and everie year during her naturall life att twooe severall payments att two ? or times of the yeare vizt on the feaste dais of St Michaell the archangell, and on the feaste day of the annunciation of St Marie the blessed virgin by equall even portions Item I bequeath and give unto my said wife Joane Northway that bestead and fetherbedd standing and placed in the chamber in my house called the ?ose together with all the furniture belonging unto them, vizt my ? rug one paire of blankets two fether boulsters, two fethere pillows three pairs of my best sheets and a bedbord?, and a paire of curtaines
                            sheets and a bedbord?, and a paire of curtaines
                            Item I give unto my said wife one chaire one stoole one table board one brasse pott one brasse kettle one skyllett of brasse one ?itt halfe a duzen of pewter and halfe a duzen of spoones
                            Item I bequeath and give to my eldest sonne John Northway and to his heirs successively found?? the Inn and tenement upon which and wherein I doe nowe live and dwell together with all and singular the appurtances thereunto belonging therewith used, or in anie wise apperteyninge
                            Item I bequeath and give undo my said sonne John Northway whome I doe also hereby ordaine and make the sole executor of this my last will and testament, The residue and all the rest of my goodes and estate not before bequeathed both within and without moveable and unmoveable together with all my chattels of what kinde soever
                            Item I ordaine and make my lovinge and wellbeloved brothers Edward Northway and Richard Northway the overseers of this my last will and testament instr?tinge them to see the same well and truly executed donne and performed according to the purports effects and true meaninge of the same and to each of them I bequeath and give the some of one shillinge and six pence, In witness whereof I the said Oswald Northway hath hereunto sett my hand and seale the yeare month and daie first above written Oswald Northwaie his marke and seale Sealed and subscribed unto? by Oswald Northway in the presence of John Toley Edward Northway and Richard Northway

I think I've come to the end now. Some words were rather tricky and I have indicated those by question marks.
                            Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 28-01-13, 15:41.
                            Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:

Comment

Next part - not sure of a couple of words

Item I bequeath and give unto my sonne Thomas Northway and to his heirs ? forever that tenement or dwelling house together with the garden plott apperteyninge adiioyninge? and belonginge to it which I purchased and bought of Beniamyn Woods and was late in tenure possession and occupation of William Pike??

after "to his heirs" should be something like "and assigns" but it doesn't look like it. The only word it looks like is "surrogates".
                              How about "Successor..."

The other queried words I wouldn't argue about. Elizabeth's interpretations look very likely to me.

C
                              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-01-13, 15:04.
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Next section:

Item I bequeath and give unto my said sonne Thomas Northway the sume of fourtiefour? pounds of good and lawfull money of England to be given? to him by the executor of this my last will and testament att the expiration and end of one whole yeare nexte ensuing the date of my decease if the said Thomas Northway be then lyvinge
                                "fourtiefour" seems likely.

I suspect that "given" as interpreted is actually "gived" in the original! ... or how about "paied"?

Christine
                                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-01-13, 15:08.

Comment

Item I bequeath and give unto my said wife Joane Northway that bestead and fetherbedd standing and placed in the chamber in my house called the ?ose together with all the furniture belonging unto them, vizt my ? rug one paire of blankets two fether boulsters, two fethere pillows three pairs of my best sheets and a bedbord?, and a paire of curtaines sheets and a bedbord?, and a paire of curtaines
                                  I think the chamber is called "rose".

"bedbord" seems a reasonable guess, even tho' there don't seem to be enough upstrokes in the middle of the word.

Christine

Comment

Item I give unto my said wife one chaire one stoole one table board one brasse pott one brasse kettle one skyllett of brasse one ?itt halfe a duzen of pewter and halfe a duzen of spoones
                                    I think that "?itt" is probably a "spitt" - as in spit-roast. It seems to be in the context of cooking implements.

Chrisitne

Comment

Item I ordaine and make my lovinge and wellbeloved borthers Edward Northway and Richard Northway the overseers of this my last will and testament instr?tinge them to see the same well and truly executed donne and performed according to the purports effects and true meaninge of the same and to each of them I bequeath and give the some of one shillinge and six pence,
                                      "instr?tinge" - I should that's probably "instructing", isn't it?

Christine

PS - Congratulations to Elizabeth for her amazingly prompt and complete interpretation of this challenging script!

Comment

Working...
                                      X