Help with a query on a 1952 will please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a query on a 1952 will please

I have got someone who died in 1952 and left all his money to his daughter from his first marriage and not his new wife.

I thought if you were married the money went to your wife automatically!

Linda

If you make a will then the will stands. The only way wife could dispute it is if she could prove he wasn't of sound mind. Even if he hadn't made a will she wouldn't necessarily get the whole of his estate, if it amounts to over £250,000 then children would also be entitled to some.
    Is it the actual will that says he left the money to his daughter? If its the entry in the probate register, then his daughter may be named as administrator but he could have left all or some of the money to his wife.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks Judith, Yes I am looking at the probate register. A strange case anyway. Granddad died in 1952 and Granny married again two years later. When she died 17 years after that she was registered with Granddad's name and when we found the grave she is buried with Granddad with his name and saying 'Beloved Wife' .

William didn't get a mention. Some sort of family feud I think. Gran's death certificate has wrong date of birth (with a question mark) wrong name, including second christian name, maiden name spelt incorrectly and where it says usual address is a question mark (she died in a hospital) and the informant was the coroner. She is also listed as Widow of Granddad. She had 4 sons who all lived close by as well.

I do love a good mystery. Will send off for the actual will,

Thanks

Linda
      Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 27-01-13, 12:21.

Comment

Working...
      X