Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help finding my gt, gt grandmothers baptism.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help finding my gt, gt grandmothers baptism.

Jane Jones b. Corwen, Merionethshire c. 1846
    Her father was Robert (a wood cutter) born Llanycil, Merionethshire and her mother was Margaret born Corwen.
    They lived in Trewyn, Corwen in 1851.

I can only find one Jane Jones from Corwen and it isn't the correct one.

Thanks.

I don't know if this is yours because the mother is Martha and not Margaret, but I'm posting it in case:

Forenames:Jane
    Surname:Jones
    Baptism Year:1846
    Baptism Month:May
    Baptism Day:2
    Place:Corwen
    County:Merionethshire
    Birth Year:
    Birth Month:
    Birth Day:
    Fathers Forenames:Robert
    Mothers Forenames:Martha
    Page:1
    Record source:Merionethshire Baptisms - Transcripts
    Data provider:Welsh Archive Services / Gwasanaethau Archifau Cymru
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 25-01-13, 21:37.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Are you sure she would have been baptised as a child? There's a strong non-conformist tradition in Wales and the SW of England, and many such churches go for adult baptism.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Never thought about that - maybe I won't find her then!

Comment

Have you considered patronymic naming - she may have used more than one "surname". I have examples in my own research from that area/era where people did exactly that ....it can get very confusing and difficult to track family relationships through generations.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

It also crossed my mind that that 1846 listing is a transcription. I'm not sure that you get to see an image of the actual register. It's very easy, when you're transcribing, to write down what you expect to see, and not what's there - a small distraction, or something can put you off your stride. I suspect that "Margt" (a standard abbreviation for "Margaret"), in some handwriting, might not look terribly different from "Martha".

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              It also crossed my mind that that 1846 listing is a transcription. I'm not sure that you get to see an image of the actual register. It's very easy, when you're transcribing, to write down what you expect to see, and not what's there - a small distraction, or something can put you off your stride. I suspect that "Margt" (a standard abbreviation for "Margaret"), in some handwriting, might not look terribly different from "Martha".

The image is viewable on FMP, Christine, and it says "Martha" as clear as day, unfortunately.

Robert and Martha lived at Eagles, Corwen, and he was an innkeeper, so it looks like a different couple.
              Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 26-01-13, 10:56.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                The image is viewable on FMP, Christine, and it says "Martha" as clear as day, unfortunately.

Robert and Martha lived at Eagles, Corwen, and he was an innkeeper, so it looks like a different couple.
                Foiled! It's probably on FMP.co.uk - I couldn't see that set on FMP.com yet.

Christine

Comment

There seem to be a number of Jane Jones on Free BMD born in her possible time frame, so I guess it will be a case of contacting the register office. There only seems to be the one Jane Jones in the baptism records on the IGI.

Comment

Does anyone know what church they would have attended in Trewyn?

Comment

Working...
                    X