1911 entry "Inserted by instruction of the Registrar General"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 entry "Inserted by instruction of the Registrar General"

Any thoughts about what's going on here?

For those unable to view, entry has "No one slept here" written diagonally across, then in another hand are listed Mrs Wyatt, two Misses Allman given approx ages and no birthplace details, then 6 entries just as "Females" with names and ages added afterwards alongside the original NK, then "Males" of whom one is later given a name, age and occupation the others are NK, number of rooms "about 14" and no address filled in or signature, the same hand that has filled in and amended the details appears to be that of the local Registrar WE Taylor who has signed as Registrar and added "Inserted by instruction of the Registrar General"

(They are not my family but I'm researching them as a family involved in my school logbook blog)

All very odd. As there was no address or signature at the bottom of thie page I looked this one up on FMP and followed link to the address and the list of households. On the address section on the front of the form which is supposed to be filed in by the enumerator the address 2 Down Cotts Parsons street and name Mr Bower had been crossed out and replaced with Mr Wyatt and address Derby House Parsons Street. On the list of households both of these names and addresses had a mark in the inhabited column, but then the word away written inside brackets, but both had numbers of males and females and totals entered in the population columns in red )other entries all in black) Could it be the enumerator thought they were away because he couldn't contact them to collect the forms, but then got permission from the registrar to add their details in when he found out they were there after all.
    Last edited by JudithM; 25-01-13, 20:49. Reason: spelling
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I wonder whether this is one of those where they refused to fill in the census by saying that no-one was there overnight? I know that some suffragettes did that but I believe there were others who either supported the suffrage movement or disagreed with the census
      Jackie

Comment

Could they have been Suffragette's? I believe that some of them refused to fill the forms in.

Margaret
        Margaret

Comment

Have a look at this one a few returns later

Jackie

Comment

I've just found the entry for the Bowers at 2 Down Cottages and sure enough the front of their form has the Wyatts' name and address crossed out and their entry also has "No one slept here" written diagonally across and the bit about the registrar. The 2 people written in on this form are Mrs Bowers Head private means and "daughter". I guess the enumerator got totally confused with the two forms, or perhaps he delivered them to the wrong houses and the householders decided not to fill them in.

Update .... Snap Night Owl
            Last edited by JudithM; 25-01-13, 20:48.

Comment

The Bowers one (see my link in the previous post) says "Suffragette" on it
              Jackie

Comment

Thankyou, suffragettes and a muddle! The other mystery is the whereabouts of the head of household Robert Clement Wyatt b1855 Ashbourne, Derbyshire. Just realised he may be on of the un-named males at the end
                Last edited by Jill on the A272; 25-01-13, 21:03. Reason: 2nd thoughts

Comment

Oh so it does, I was so busy looking for the bits that were the same as the other form that I didn't notice that. I wonder who gave the details in the end - perhaps one of the neighbours gave the game away! I see neither Mr Bower or Mr Wyatt was around although Mrs Bower was described as wife, wonder where the menfolk were.

Comment

Robert Clement Wyatt died the following year, he was a stockbroker & son of the first vicar of St Wilfrid's, Haywards Heath and left just over £59, 000.

Comment

Working...
                    X