Death not recorded?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death not recorded?

I am trying to find the date of death for my Great Granddad. I found 2 people with the same name (one was born 1877, the other 1878), one died age 2 and the other has no death record. I think he died in the first world war, but I can't find any records of that.

Any ideas on where to look if you can't find the date of death?

Originally posted by Dreghorn View Post
    I am trying to find the date of death for my Great Granddad. I found 2 people with the same name (one was born 1877, the other 1878), one died age 2 and the other has no death record. I think he died in the first world war, but I can't find any records of that.

Any ideas on where to look if you can't find the date of death?
    You cannot find an exact date of death online, you can only find the reference of where a death was registered and that only gives the quarter relating to the event. You have to buy a death certificate to find the exact date.

Deaths in WW1 are recorded in The National Roll of the Great War, 1914-1918 on ancestry here http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1538 or on Find My Past here http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1538

If you can't access these sites let us have the name and someone might be able to find it for you.

Margaret
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 25-01-13, 14:17.

Comment

Could try http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx if he died in WWI

It's free and you will get where his grave is if known

Comment

You might get an exact date if he left a Will and it's recorded in the England & Wales National Probate Calendar (available on Ancestry).

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

SIne we're talking about someone who's died, would you like to put the name up? - plus any other info to help us identify the correct record, and anyone who fancies having a go can do so.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you folks

Comment

The 2 people are both called James Dreghorn. One of them was born in 1878 and died 1880. The other one was born 1878. Both were born in the district of Abbey Burgh, Renfrew, Scotland. Here was me thinking there were not than many people with my name, and 2 of them are born in the same area 1 year apart.

I think this is going to be harder than I thought, but hopfuly a bit of fun hard work

Comment

DREGHORN, J Serjeant 5911 01/10/1916 Aged 33 Cameron Highlanders United Kingdom III. B. 9. STRUMA MILITARY CEMETERY

Any good?

Comment

Commonwealth War Graves has this one although the age is out a bit.

Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

There's a WW1 Australian of that name, here: http://roadtowarandback.blogspot.co....-dreghorn.html

Same one: http://www.awm.gov.au/research/peopl...n.asp?p=573414

This thread looks as if it could be relevant eventually: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index...sg2272607.html

There are quite a lot of leads to check if you google "James Dreghorn"

Christine
                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 25-01-13, 21:29.

Comment

Unfortunately neither of the options on CWGC appear likely

The Cameron Highlander is recorded on "Soldiers Died in the Great War" as John - born in Inverness and the AIF man looks to have been born and educated in Perth Western Australia

Comment

This is probably stating the obvious - but if he died during the period of the First World War (rather than as a casualty of the war) - there is only 1 James Dreghorn listed in the death register between 1914 and 1918 on Scotlands People. I presume he has been checked out????

Comment

Originally posted by SueNSW View Post
                          This is probably stating the obvious - but if he died during the period of the First World War (rather than as a casualty of the war) - there is only 1 James Dreghorn listed in the death register between 1914 and 1918 on Scotlands People. I presume he has been checked out????
                          Always worth stating the obvious, unless it's already been ruled out! It's all too easy to miss a trick, even if it's something you know about.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                          X