Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you please help me to rule these McDonalds out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you please help me to rule these McDonalds out.

I do not have much to go on.

They arrived in Victoria aboard the "Yorkshire" November 1861....and they came from Scotland........it doesn't say where in Scotland.

Alexander McDonald aged 7
    Isabella McDonald aged 5
    Margaret 32
    Mary J 9
    William 2

All I need to know to rule them out for sure is.

Maragarets husband name is not Alexander............I think on the ships record it says she is married.....but she is appears to be travelling without him

They settled in any other state other than Tasmania.

do you have a copy of the shipping list? it will say where in scotland they were from, maybe not the town, but the county at least.

what do you know of this family, or trying to connect to it yours? death certs in vic and new south wales are very informative, specially with parents names where known. indexes could help you nail them.

Comment

The shipping list just says Scotland......no county.

I only know what I have posted of this family.

I have tried looking on Ancestry but have found nothing that helps.

My great great grandmother was Isabella Mcdonald..........and I 100% know her father was Alexander.

I am trying to rule out/in this family.

Comment

do you have isabella's death cert with a rough estimate of when she arrived? is that how you found this list? do you have her parents deaths? they could confirm or deny a year of emmigration.

Comment

That is just it............Isabella's death certificate says she was born in Tasmania....abt 1856

But there is no registration for a birth for her here..............not even for an un-named female McDonald.

Her marriage notice said she was the youngest daughter of Alexander Mcdonald.

Her marriage has no hints...............nor the informant of her death.

I am checking out other Isabella's who were in Australia and born about 1856.....as there have been family rumours of her being of Scottish ancestry.............did they come to that conclusion because of her surname....I do now know.

I have not been able to find anything on the family in the OP to eliminate them.

I can find no trace of Alexander McDonald either.

Comment

What month in 1861 would they have left the UK - would it have been before census was taken?

I am just wondering if you could use Scottish records (census and possibly births) to find and track this family?

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I think I have solved it...............and they are not mine.

I thought the shipping records said Margaret was married.

So I presumed she was coming out to meet her husband.

Going by Scottish naming patterns I took a guess her husbands name was Alexander.

I checked for Alexanders who might match...........and there was only 1.

Alexander Mcdonald born abt 1824 Scotland came out on the "Suffolk" in 1859.

Then I put his details into Ancestry with Margaret's and the children from off the ship "Yorkshire".........and bingo.

It looks like this family remained in Victoria and NSW..............including all of Alexanders brothers and sisters..............and his mother and father.

So I can now 100% rule them out as mine.

Thank you.

Comment

Well done - that was a difficult one with such common Scottish names.
                herky
                Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

where did isabella marry? her cert should give birthplace and parents names?

Comment

She married in Tasmania in 1877.

There is no birth place or parents name for either her or her husband.......they were not left blank..........there was no where for that information to be put.

The witnesses were from her husbands family.

Comment

how interesting that at that date, tasmanian marriage certs were less informative than others in australia. did the newspaper article (i assume this is where her father's name came from) mention anything about alexander? his occupation, or address? did it mention if he was deceased?

Comment

This was all the marriage notice in the paper said.

ANd yes that is how I found out what her fathers name was.

MARRIAGE.
                        MARSHALL-McDONALD - On 5th inst, at Hobart
                        Town by the Rev. W. C. Robinson, Thomas,
                        eldest son of Mr Thomas Marshall, River Plenty, to Isabella, youngest daughter of Alexander McDonald of New Norfolk

Comment

Unfortunately not all states included places of birth or parents names in 1877..............especially Tasmania.

What you can expect to see on an historical Australian Birth, Death or Marriage certificate.

Comment

Working...
                          X