great grandad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• great grandad

Hiya all,i am trying to get some information on my great grandad,all i have is my gran dads details,he was Edward Taylor born in 1903 in Salford,Lancashire on his marriage cert in 1924 hewas decseased,my gran was Elizabeth Taylor ( stretton ) born in 1904,any help would be much appreciated ront
    Last edited by redron; 23-01-13, 20:38.

On the marriage certificate of your grandad, does it give the name of his father and his occupation - or does it just say deceased without any name against it?

Who are the witnesses on the marriage certificate - are they family members?
    Do you know the names of any of the siblings of your grandad?
    Elaine

Comment

Once you've got the info that Elaine has suggested, you have:
      • Ancestry/FindMyPast (a.k.a. FMP)
      • FreeBMD
      • Lancashire BMD
      • Lancashire OPC
      • FamilySearch

Sorry of this is a bit indeterminate... just back from dinner out with OH, to celebrate my birthday tomorrow!

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 23-01-13, 22:55.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
        On the marriage certificate of your grandad, does it give the name of his father and his occupation - or does it just say deceased without any name against it?

Who are the witnesses on the marriage certificate - are they family members?
        Do you know the names of any of the siblings of your grandad?
        Hiya Elaine,the witnesses are james Armitt and Annie Roberts,his occupayion was a porter,there is no mention antwhere about siblings,they did live at 47 Peel street , Salford,Lancashire,His name was George Taylor his wife was Elizabeth?? Ront

Comment

Are the years of birth approximate or definite?
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Originally posted by redron View Post
            Hiya all,i am trying to get some information on my great grandad,all i have is my gran dads details,he was Edward Taylor born in 1903 in Salford,Lancashire on his marriage cert in 1924 hewas decseased,my gran was Elizabeth Taylor ( stretton ) born in 1904,any help would be much appreciated ront
            on www.lancashirebmd.org.uk the only Edward Taylor registered that year states
            TAYLOR Edward ... Pendleton ... Salford ... PEN/178/19 so this would suggest the village of Pendleton was where he was born ??
            allan
            Last edited by garstonite; 24-01-13, 08:33.
            Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
            oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
            adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
            merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
            coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

If you narrow the search to Salford and put the name in, you will see just one Edward Taylor born in the Salford district in 1903, but three in 1902 and one in 1904.

If he was definitely born in 1903 you could order the birth certificate by clicking on the link.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

This is possibly the Edward born in Pendleton, Salford:

1911 Census
                TAYLOR, Edward
                SALFORD, Lancashire
                Reference RG14PN24037 RG78PN1383 RD465 SD3 ED24 SN105
                34 Rossall Street Pendleton Manchester

He is nephew to James and Elizabeth Hughes and born at Pendleton.

CAUTION: You can't assume this is him. You'd have to get a birth certificate and establish the link.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

This looks a possible for your grans baptism ....in case you don`t have it , make a note of this in case it turns out to be her ??
                  Elizabeth Stretton ,born 25th december 1903 - baptised 6th jan 1904 at Christ Church,Salford - child of Charles Stretton and Elizabeth
                  abode 4 Burgess Buildings
                  occupation a Cattle Drover

baptised by George J Howson
                  so ...did Edward and Elizabeth marry in Christ Church ,Salford??

ADDED...IF this is your grans baptism - same church ,Christ Church on 4th October 1893
                  Charles Stretton aged 23 a Drover bachelor of 23 West Gore Street
                  Elizabeth Davies aged 21 a Twister Spinner spinster of 22 Bright Street
                  grooms father Charles Stretton a Brewer
                  brides father Robert Davies ( deceased ) a Plasterer
                  withess John Davies and Mary Elizabeth Hardy
                  married by Banns by Fred Knight
                  Last edited by garstonite; 24-01-13, 08:54.
                  Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                  oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                  adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                  merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                  coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Originally posted by garstonite View Post
                    This looks a possible for your grans baptism ....in case you don`t have it , make a note of this in case it turns out to be her ??
                    Elizabeth Stretton ,born 25th december 1903 - baptised 6th jan 1904 at Christ Church,Salford - child of Charles Stretton and Elizabeth
                    abode 4 Burgess Buildings
                    occupation a Cattle Drover

baptised by George J Howson
                    so ...did Edward and Elizabeth marry in Christ Church ,Salford??

ADDED...IF this is your grans baptism - same church ,Christ Church on 4th October 1893
                    Charles Stretton aged 23 a Drover bachelor of 23 West Gore Street
                    Elizabeth Davies aged 21 a Twister Spinner spinster of 22 Bright Street
                    grooms father Charles Stretton a Brewer
                    brides father Robert Davies ( deceased ) a Plasterer
                    withess John Davies and Mary Elizabeth Hardy
                    married by Banns by Fred Knight
                    This is my Gran,i have done ok on my grans side its my grandads side i have had problems with,thanks for the info and your help Ront

Comment

the dates for my gran parents are deffinate

Comment

Did you see the link I posted above, Redron?
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

this could be my grandad,the census says james and elizabeth hughes ( Taylor ) could this be my great grandads sister,i sent for a birth certificate on the info i had but they said the details were not correct Ront

Comment

Working...
                          X