Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you go about finding just a couple of bits of information?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you go about finding just a couple of bits of information?

My Mum died in 1942 when I was 6. Don't know her birthday or her date of death.

(Sorry if I am a bit thick but as you have seen, I don't know much about this Family Tree thing ;-)

If you look up her death registration it should give you an age at death which helps you work out when she was born. You could try freeBMD for this.
    Do you know her maiden name - if not look up your birth registration and that will give mother's maiden name as well. Again you can use freeBMD

If it's an unusual name then you might be able to find her birth registration in the index (again freeBMD), but if not you will need to find her marriage registration and possibly purchase the marriage certificate. This would give the name of her father and his occupation, which should help you work back another generation, hopefully finding the family in the 1911 census.

It's like one big jigsaw, start with what you know - YOU - and work back one generation at a time using birth/marriage/death registrations!

If you would like me look it up for you, send the details by PM (personal message).
    Elaine

Comment

If you're lucky, you may find that relevant marriage records are accessible online - but that's very rare, and more recent records tend not to be available, out of respect for people's privacy... but you can deduce a lot of info from the indexes, sometimes.

If you have Elaine ..Spain batting for you, you're in with a good chance! Elaine's particularly skilled at finding people in the census when everyone else has failed.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine, you're right!!

Gobsmacked and speechless!!

Didn't know I had so many Aunts and Uncles!

Comment

Well there you are.

I have to admit that since I started this addictive hobby in Feb 2004, my fiction reading has plummeted... and I've become a potential bore at all social events if there's a chance of talking genealogy! The puzzle element + social history has fulfilled my needs for puzzle-fiction (whodunnits) and historical fiction (the history element), so fiction rarely capture my imagination for long enough!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Things have progressed here on this posting as well. The members of my family I am in contact with are fascinated with the 1911 Census someone very kindly found me, which pointed out my Mum on it, ........................ aged 1 !! :-)

However, when I do a map google search on the address and look at it, it is a modern building :-( How do I go about searching records to see if there is a photo anywhere of the house in 1911. It was pretty big by today's standard with 10 rooms, but then they needed it, 6 children and 3 servants!

Comment

Start with the archives of the county where the building stood - they often have collections of old photos (occasionally available online). They will certainly have old maps of the area. What is the address you are interested in?
              Last edited by AntonyM; 30-01-13, 11:00.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Not sure which County it was in then, but it is 18 Dorville Road, Lee. Would that be Middlesex?

Comment

No its was Kent try this web site, it quite good, they will have any pictures that you might want there if they exist....

this one is on facebook...

Lewisham Heritage, Lewisham, United Kingdom. Отметки "Нравится": 1 338 · Обсуждают: 4. Lewisham Heritage is the official archive for the London Borough of Lewisham.

another one....http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/inmyarea/...s/default.aspx

this one might also help....http://www.yourlocalweb.co.uk/greate...sham/pictures/

hope that helps. if not get back to me....I am not a million miles from there, and when I have time I can pop in there and do a check, if you like.....good luck...

...Lilly

Comment

Mike
                    You should be sure to check a map for as close to the period as you can - it isn't unknown for street names and numbering to move about over time. Especially where an area has been redeveloped.
                    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Hi The street is still there, just a loads of houses have also been built since,Mike if you get in touch with Lewisham History library (email them) they will be able to check their photos, and also there street maps, also give you at least a hsitory of the older houses in that road, of which some are still standing, as Antony has said, they might well have renumbered the houses, because of the new builds, I know they did with my family home, around the 1900's not sure why as there were no new builds in my street!! which was also Lee Green (as I was born in the area so I know it pretty well ).....if they can't/won't just let me know and I will check it out for you....Lilly

Comment

Sometimes the numbering was relative to a post office, I think I heard somewhere, so could change if a new post office were built.

Christine

Comment

the post office in my town or the council maybe, changed all the numbers in our street when i was a child. no idea why.

Comment

Working...
                          X