Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1891 census Help

Hi All

Can anyone decipher the place name ticked in the were born column taken from the 1891 census. The first word is Ireland, but what is the other one.

1891 Census 2.jpg

It looks like Goulston but I can't find a place in Ireland to match that spelling.
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
      Hi All

Can anyone decipher the place name ticked in the were born column taken from the 1891 census. The first word is Ireland, but what is the other one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16635[/ATTACH]
      can you give us more details at all? a name, or the link to this census page for 1891 please.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Its the 1891 census for Henry Clark b 1817 in Ely, Cambridgeshire, his wife Catherine b1835 in the place that i can`t decipher in Ireland and son John b1871 in Quebec, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
          Its the 1891 census for Henry Clark b 1817 in Ely, Cambridgeshire, his wife Catherine b1835 in the place that i can`t decipher in Ireland and son John b1871 in Quebec, Canada
          mmm I see what you mean.. and I take it that they don't mention where in Ireland on any other census? do you have a marriage cert for Henry/Catherine? or perhaps a birth cert for one of the children which would give you Catherine's maiden name.
          Julie

Comment

Possibly Goatstown, Dublin.

Comment

I see from the 1861 Canadian census Henry is stated as being a Soldier, and Catherine and John are there too.

Henry is stated to be 41 yrs of age [and is an Episcopalian]
              Catherine is stated to be 27 yrs of age [and is a Roman Catholic]
              John is 2yrs [Episcopalian]
              Julie

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                Possibly Goatstown, Dublin.

Well done Vera2013 and well spotted, wecome to the Forum

Edna

Comment

Thank you Edna for your greeting.

I have a possible baptism of John at the Anglican Garrison. In the Quebec Drouin collection. Will try to cut and paste but not used to the site yet.

It reads

John son of Henry Clark Private in the ?? Rifles and Catherine his wife by her maiden name ?Lally or maybe Lalby.

Born 23 June 1859. Baptised 31 July. Sponsors Henry Clark ?? Rifles, Thomas Dickson ?? Rifles and Ann Dickson

Comment

Well done vera
                    Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                        Thank you Edna for your greeting.

I have a possible baptism of John at the Anglican Garrison. In the Quebec Drouin collection. Will try to cut and paste but not used to the site yet.

It reads

John son of Henry Clark Private in the ?? Rifles and Catherine his wife by her maiden name ?Lally or maybe Lalby.

Born 23 June 1859. Baptised 31 July. Sponsors Henry Clark ?? Rifles, Thomas Dickson ?? Rifles and Ann Dickson
                        do you have a link for this Vera? I can't spot it in the indexes
                        Julie

Comment

after a bit of fiddling I have found it, but the writing isn't very clear...

if anyone else that has a WW sub can have a look it would be great! [page two at the top!]
                          Last edited by Darksecretz; 23-01-13, 08:51.
                          Julie

Comment

Sorry i have`nt any certs but i do have Catherine maiden name as Lally/Lalley it was on my grandfathers death cert. She was my great-grandmother. I also have a copy of the 1861 Canadian Census and a copy of Johns baptism. Yes he was a lot older her.
                            What is causing me great frustration is not being able to find out where she came from in Ireland. The 1891 Census is the only one that gives a reference to where she came from other than just Ireland.

Comment

ahh I see, did you know there is a tree on Ancestry with him?

Vera said it could be Goatstown, Dublin, might be worthwhile checking that out..
                              Julie

Comment

do you have baptisms for the other children born in Canada at all?
                                Julie

Comment

I`m not sure how to use the link you gave me. It could possibly be mine tree

Comment

Henry`s son Henry Joseph was born 1863 New London, Canada.
                                    Daughter Catherine b1868 Kingston, Ontario, Canada. and James b1870 Cambridgeshire, UK

Comment

Tried that Linda, Came up as an error

Comment

Working...
                                      X