Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a problem. Your experienced advice please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a problem. Your experienced advice please.

Dealing with families and family trees is all new to me and I am amazed at just how much information you kind people have 'hooked out'. So much information has been found since I 'went public' after my meeting at H.M.S.Collingwood on the 9th January.

My problem is contacting those you have found and PM'd me an address. I would rather the person being notified via their own Tree and thus contact me. I know then that they are a willing person. My feeling is that if I write to them and introduce myself and explain my mission, they might be offended that 'somone unknown, knows so much about them'.

I would welcome your comments and advice so that I don't offend anybody, either here or out there!!

Once again thanks folks

Originally posted by Mike Crowe View Post

My problem is contacting those you have found and PM'd me an address. I would rather the person being notified via their own Tree and thus contact me. I know then that they are a willing person. My feeling is that if I write to them and introduce myself and explain my mission, they might be offended that 'somone unknown, knows so much about them'.
    I've been following your research thread Mike, and can see that a lot of work has been done behind the scenes and relevant info found. Well done to those involved.

It's good to see that you are thinking about how the initial approach should be made so as not to offend anyone and concerned that their reaction might be "someone unknown knows so much about me".
    I think if I was in the position of receiving contact from you, my thoughts might be along the lines "someone unknown to me has taken the time and trouble to find out so much and to link me in with this event."

I think if you give a detailed account of your mission and the event .. then say with the help of some experienced genealogists you feel that the contact has a possible link to one of the 33 men killed and if that's the case you would like to invite them to attend the Memorial service (or whatever involvement you want them to have).

Your posts on here come over in a polite and genuine manner ... I think it would be very difficult for you to offend someone if you continue in the same vein!
    Elaine

Comment

Well said Elaine I agree

Edna

Comment

I agree with Elaine, a polite and clear letter explaining the situation is unlikely to offend and the reason for contact is not for money or asking for anything of the individual you are just telling them about something they might be interested in, they do not need to respond unless they intend to join in.

Margaret

Comment

I echo Elaine's response to that, Mike.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
          X