Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would you / do you Record information recived via email?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would you / do you Record information recived via email?

Sorry if this question is in the wrong place, feel free to move it (just let me know where it goes :D)

Iv made contact with a relation (sort of, we have the same GGG grandparents) who is also researching family history and he is sending me info via email now all the attacment's im saving as per normal but there a little bits of info written in conversation that i would like to save as well but i have no idea how to "document" it, if you know what i mean.

For example:

The Hulk registry for the ‘Ganymeade’ is correct – that is our ancestor Joseph (I). If you have a look you’ll also find a Thomas Fawcett listed – that is Joseph’s younger brother and they were both trialled at Durham Quarter Sessions on 4/1/1836 for break and entering, spent time on the hulk (20/1/1836 til roughly late August 1836) and then shipped to Australia on the ‘John II’, departing Sheerness 21/10/1836, arranging in Sydney 7/2/1837. Joseph (I) was subsequently sent to Bathurst to complete the duration of his sentence. Thomas was sent to Windsor and have not been able to track him down after that.

Thanks

Can you copy and paste into a word doc, which you can save as e.g Fawcett info (from John Smith). Once you've started the doc, you should be able to open and add as further snippets come through.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Yeah thats the only way iv thought of too.

Cheers

Comment

Yes, that's what I do with all email correspondence that I want to save. I manage records for a small FH society and I have a file with a folder for each member. When I get emails from anyone I just paste it into a Word doc, title it with the date and save it into their folder. When I reply, I write the reply on the same Word doc and then paste it into an email to them. That way the whole correspondence follows a sequence and makes sense 2 years later when I need it!

Anne

Comment

i paste it in word too. record who it comes from, and sometimes if i cant remember, how they fit into the grand scheme. especially with personal stories handed down the families.

Comment

Yes, I am copy pasting all e mails at present from a contact found in the New Year. As Jay says you can add to it as other information appears. Much of mine will end up in the form of notes on my Family Historian Software programme as well as backing up on to external hard drive and keeping a hard copy! Oh the joys of the computer that was supposed to make all this easier!

Anne,

That's a good point to do it in a word document first.

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 21-01-13, 11:01.

Comment

When I add such information to my tree I note the source as

Contact John Smith e.mail dated 1 January 2013

So I can then find it either in my saved e.mails or the relevant word document....Yes I save it in two places as I have, in the past, 'mislaid' individual e.mails and documents:(

Chris
              Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

Thanks guys Copy and past seems to be the best bet, i didnt think of adding the notes to the family tree program though will have to do that to
                Cheers

Comment

I've "printed" the email to a pdf file, so that the entire message is preserved. That document is entered in my tree, with citations for source, date,etc

Comment

Thanks PhotoFamily thats a good idea

Comment

Working...
                    X