Memorial Remembrance Service H.M.S.Collingwood bombing 1943

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memorial Remembrance Service H.M.S.Collingwood bombing 1943

I am looking for relatives of the 33 men who were killed on June 18th 1943 when a bomb dropped on H.M.S.Collingwood. Most were 17 and 18 year olds and 'volunteers'. On their service record the explanation "To serve for the duration of the present conflict" would have meant that at the end of the war they would have been released. They were only a couple of weeks into their training. 33 were killed and 38 injured. One of those injured was later killed in another instance on 22 December 1943, still only 17.

In conjunction with the Executive Officer and the Public Relations Officer of H.M.S.Collingwood, I have arranged a Memorial Service in the H.M.S.Collingwood Chapel and a visit to where the bomb dropped, where there will be another short service. Wreaths and Poppys will then be laid at a tree planted to commemorate the 50th anniversary.

If you know about this and know a relative or someone who served there, please let me know. The 70th Anniversary on June 18th this year is rapidly approaching. Brothers and sisters will be in their 80's and 90's, (I have two already). Sons and Daughters, Nephews and Neices all wanted.

Mike Crowe
    Chairman
    H.M.S.Collingwood Association

I've moved this here, Mike. I hope you don't mind. I just thought that it would get the attention it needs here. The "Events" board tends to be used for notices of genealogy events like the Who Do You Think You Are weekend coming up at Olympia, or informal gatherings of FTF members at different places around the country.

Don't forget everyone, not to post living names on open forum.

I'm guessing that it should be possible to discover the names of the men involved by looking on the CWGC site, if Mike doesn't return to give an update in time! (It looks as if you have to have a surname, so that isn't working, yet.)

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 19-01-13, 16:04.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Mike

Have you seen this FTF blog?
      http://www.familytreeforum.com/entry.php/272-Robert-Bernard-Patrick-Bryant-(Pat)-b1911-Cardiff-d1943-lost-family

Perhaps that's what brought you here?

~~~~

And there's a brief survivor's account, here:
      Collecting preserving and researching photographs and memories of Those Who Served during The Second World War 1939-1945

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 19-01-13, 16:10.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've found the names of those killed, here (http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1943-06JUN.htm):
        AMES*, Arthur W H, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518558, killed << Arthur William Herbert, 17; bur Sellinge, Kent
        AVERY, William H, Act/Leading Seaman, RFR, P/J 35480, killed << William 44, s/o George & Annie AVERY, h/o E*** H*** AVERY; bur Waltham St Lawrence, Berks
        BELL, Ronald, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518577, killed << no age/family given; bur Leeds (Harehills)
        BELL, Thomas S, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518563, killed << Thomas Stanley 17; no family given; bur Haslar RN cemetery
        BLACKBURN*, Robert J, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518542, killed << Robert James 33, s/o Mr & Mrs Albert BLACKBURN, h/o R*** E*** BLACKBURN, of New Rackheath, NFK
        BRYANT*, Robert B P, Ordinary Seaman, JX 517781, killed << This one is the subject of the FTF blog, mentioned above, so already covered.
        CARRANO*, Andrew E, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518550, killed << Andrew Edward, 17, s/o Andrew & Phyllis CARRANO, of Dartford, Kent
        CHITTYº, Thomas J, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518556, DOW << Thomas Joseph, 17, s/o Thomas & Florence E CHITTY, of Kemsing, Kent
        CLIFTON, George, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518575, MPK << George, 18, s/o George & Jenny CLIFTON, of Whittlesey, Cambs
        DEWAR, David, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518553, killed << David, 18, s/o Arthur Kidd & Jane Arm DEWAR, of Leeds.
        DIXONº, John D, Ordinary Seaman, JX 430784, killed << John David, 17, Percy & Kathleen Mary DIXON, of Littlewick Green, Berks
        DOWDESWELL*, Ramsey D, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518569, DOW << Ramsey Donald, 18, Frederick Walter & Florence Kate DOWDESWELL, of Swindon, Wilts
        EVANS, Harry, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518567, killed << Harry, 18, s/o Charles & Emma EVANS, of Darnall, Sheffield
        FARLEYº, Ronald A, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518557, killed << Ronald Albert (Ron), 18, s/o Walter and Louisa FARLEY, of Tovil; bur Maidstone
        GREEN*, Thomas E, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518572, killed << Thomas Edward, 35, s/o John & Emily GREEN, of Forncett St. Mary; h/o Alexandra Nell GREEN, of Wreningham; bur Forncett St. Mary, NFK
        HEATH*, Sidney C, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518546, killed << Sidney Charles, 18, s/o Alfred John and Sarah Daisy HEATH, of Kennington, London
        HILLS*, Peter F, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518564, DOW << Peter Francis, 17, s/o Fred and Elsie Rebecca Hills, of Weald, Kent
        HOWARD, Leonard A, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518543, killed << Leonard Arthur, 18, s/o Arthur & Maud Margaret HOWARD, of Clapham, London
        JARVIS, Cyril T, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518570, MPK << Cyril Tarrant, 18, s/o William Herbert & Hester Jane JARVIS, of St. Neots, Hunts
        JONES, Ronald C, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518551, killed << Ronald Charles (Ron), 17, s/o Mrs. K.M. JONES, of Folkestone
        LINCOLN*, Kenneth, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518565, killed << Kenneth, 18, s/o Mrs. N. LINCOLN, of Leeds (Garforth cemetery)
        NUNN*, John D, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518552, killed << John David, 18, s/o William George & Bertha NUNN, of Upwell, NFK
        PRIESTMAN, Ernest, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518566, killed << Ernest, 18, James & Clara PRIESTMAN, of Leeds (Hunslet cemetery)
        SEGASBY*, Harry F, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518528, killed << Harry Frederick Albert, 19, s/o Frederick George & Annie Elizabeth Susan SEGASBY, of Lowestoft.
        SHERRINGTON, Henry V, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518586, killed << Henry Victor, 17, s/o Arthur James & Beatrice Ellen SHERRINGTON, of Baldock, Herts
        SMEE, Edwin J, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518544, killed << Edwin John, 18, s/o Herbert & Hilda Louisa SMEE, of Croydon, SRY
        STEVENS (†), Kenneth A, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518568, killed << Kenneth Alfred, 17, Alfred & Annie Mary STEVENS, of Maidstone
        VARLEY, Albert, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518561, killed << Albert, 22, s/o Isaac & Elizabeth Varley, of Hunslet, Leeds
        WAGER, Dennis S, Ordinary Seaman, P/JX 428452, DOW << Dennis Sandford, 18, s/o Harold & Florence Helen WAGER (nee Bonehill), of Ashtead
        WARD*, Lionel F, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518559, killed << Lionel Frederick, 17, Fred Lewis & Susannah Ellen WARD, of Gillingham, Kent
        WILKINSON, Robert H, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518547, killed << Robert Henry, 18, Robert James & Millicent WILKINSON, of Brixton, London
        WRIGHT†*, Donald, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518571, killed << Donald, 18, Baldwin Frankland Murgatroyd & Clara WRIGHT, of Halifax, Yorks
        YARDLEY, Reginald G, Ordinary Seaman, JX 518576, killed << Reginald George, 18, Mr. and Mrs. R. G. Yardley, of Maidstone; bur Boxley (St Mary & All Saints)

Detail obtained from CWGC website.
        Surnames marked * = Mike already has contacts for these families, or we have found a likely address, or the family has contacted us to reach Mike.
        Surnames marked = We've found a probably-connected tree on Ancestry/GR, and sent a message to the owner, asking them to get in touch.
        Surnames marked º = We've made a start, but stalled for some reason - happy to share what I've got - unless you prefer to start from scratch.

Surnames marked = We've stalled in the face of too wide a field of possibles, or because there are no likely relations to be contacted.
        Surnames with no mark = no-one's started on this... as far as I know!
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 25-01-13, 16:12.

Comment

Many thanks for all your help. I have a complete list of those killed and wounded. Of those killed I have their next of kin as well. It will take me a little while but I will compile a list with Service Numbers, next of kin and the area they came from. Looking for relations to attend the service at H.M.S.Collingwood. The service will be very emotional because we follow it up with a visit to the spot where the bomb dropped.
          An article has been sent to over 500 local newspapers and are appearing already, with some result :-) Received an email this morning as a response to the article in the Portsmouth News from a lad who heard the bomb drop. His house was just outside the grounds of H.M.S.Collingwood.
          More later.

Comment

Beat me to it. I am in touch with two sisters of the above. I want more.

Comment

Should have added, I have the list of those injured and would like to trace those and invite them to the service.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Crowe View Post
                Beat me to it. I am in touch with two sisters of the above. I want more.
                If you tell me which of the names are ones for which you've already managed to make family contacts, I'll add an asterisk to them, or something, so that others can devote their time to the ones you haven't been able to get at.

Christine

Comment

Incidentally, a lot of my mother's family comes from Hampshire, with Soton, Portsmouth and Portchester figuring large. My late father was Precentor at the Cathedral - but not until 1945. Before that he was at Fareham.

Christine

Comment

Ames and Heath

Many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Crowe View Post
                      Ames and Heath

Many thanks
                      I've marked them up, now.

Have you got in touch with Liz from Lancs, whose blog I mentioned at post #3?

Christine

Comment

I see that David DEWAR had an elder sister, Eleanor, who married someone with the surname O'DONNELL, and died in the Leeds area in 1976.

A son (1945) and a daughter (1948) were registered to that marriage.

David's elder brother, Francis W, appears to have died, unmarried, in the Leeds area in 1946, aged only 22.

His mother, Jane Ann (found a likely candidate in 1911, and this would be an easy misreading to make) DEWAR appears to have died in the Leeds area in 1967, aged 69.

There's a death for Arthur Kidd DEWAR in the Leeds area in 1985, but the DoB is 1921??

Christine
                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 20-01-13, 16:04.

Comment

Ramsey Donald DOWDESWELL appears to have come from a large family.

The two probable brothers I've found are:
                          Alfred James, b 28 Jan 1918, d Nov 1997
                          Arthur William, b 9 Jan 1920, d May 2005

One of the sisters appears to have married someone with the surname PEWSEY but altho', he died in 1995, there's no sign of her name in the indexes - or not up to 2005, which is as far as the readily available ones go.

Comment

I've found someone with a tree on Ancestry, that has Ramsey D DOWDESWELL. I've sent them a PM with the info.

I've done the same where there's a tree with the father of Andrew E CARRANO.

Christine

Comment

I've found a bit of info on some of the others, but no linked trees. Will keep looking.

Christine

Comment

I've found someone with a tree on Ancestry, that has Henry Victor SHERRINGTON. I've sent them a PM with the info.

Similarly someone with a tree with the parents, Herbert & Hilda Louisa SMEE, of Edwin John SMEE.

Albert VARLEY, s/o Isaac & Elizabeth VARLEY: as far as I can see this must have been a devastated family. He'd have had an elder brother, Ernest, whose birth was registered 1920q1 - but that his death was registered 1920q2. I can see any other siblings for Albert - tho' the situation is complicated by Ancestry's mistranscription of "Hunslet" as a PoB! I'll have a look on FMP, but the two trees on Ancestry which include Albert's parents, don't make mention of the children: this would make sense if there are no descendants for any children. I'll contact them, anyway, just in case there's any useful info.

Dennis Sandford WAGER, s/o Harold & Florence Helen WAGER (nee Bonehill), seems to have been an only child. I've sent a PM to someone with a tree containing his parents' names.
                                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 20-01-13, 16:03.

Comment

This is all truly wonderful. Thank you to all who have had a peep and tried to help, especially 'Queen Christine of Hearts' herself :-)

I have a letter in lots of local newspapers and also being interviewed on BBC Local Radio Stations, so between us we should find some near relatives.

Thanks again

Mike

Comment

Thank you for your kind words, Mike!

I've been looking at Ronald Albert (Ron) FARLEY s/o Walter & Louisa FARLEY, of Tovil; bur Maidstone. No-one seems to have that tree on Ancestry, so we may have to be more conventional with that one. It does look as if there were lots of siblings: four by 1911 (Walter FARLEY & Louisa née SAKER married in 1903) and another four 1917-1925, of whom Ron was the youngest.

I think I'll go back and re-format the relevant names in bold, in the "hunting" posts, so that they're easier to spot.

Christine
                                    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 20-01-13, 16:07.

Comment

We mustn't forget that there's The Guild of One Name Studies. Where there are unusual names, there may well be someone who's been studying all the instances of that name. there may be some mileage in enrolling their help for some of the specifics.

So far, of the names I've tried, only SMEE & WAGER are there.

Christine
                                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 20-01-13, 16:18.

Comment

Haven't had any replies to my Ancestry messages, yet. No guarantee that I will get any, either, of course!

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X