Haggerty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haggerty

Could anyone help with Irish records for Peter Haggerty b 1836 ,Donegal ,Ireland ,died 1884 ,Glasgow Scotland . I have his wife and children after he came to Scotland and settled in Glasgow , but I would love some information on his parents John Haggerty and Alice Linn.(from SP death cert.)
    Married Margaret Daly about 1865 , occupation mason.
    Children are John 1866, Margaret 1873, William 1875 Alice 1879 , Mary 1880 .
    Apart from a couple of census info.on SP that is all I have .
    Any info.would be great .
    Thanks
    Ev

do you have the children's birth entries? were they born in scotland? if so, they should say where and when your ancestors married. do you have a rough date that pater arrived in scotland.

Comment

Here they are in 1871 and the first child John born in Scotland 1864. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=4305922

The marriage for Peter and Margaret is 1863 Glasgow no date for parents marriage but Peter's father is Peter Haggerty quarrier and Rose Cassidy deceased no date of marriage for them.

I have the image of the marriage record if you would like it - send me a pm with your email address.

Margaret

Comment

Also found this https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V5C9-56G# which could be him in the 63rd Foot Regiment and then discharged unfit due to consumption in 1855. Gives place of birth as Offaly Kings County, Ireland.

The record is on FMP here http://www.findmypast.co.uk/army-ser...81160&pageNo=1

Let me know if you can't view that.

Birth registrations didn't start in Ireland until 1864, marriage 1845 but there are some Church records covering 1836 on ancestry but nothing showing for Peter b1836

Margaret

Comment

Kylejustin,

According to the census returns I have it seems all the children were born in Glasgow. I will have to get to the library next week to see if I can find their birth certs . I can`t find an 1861 census for Peter ,so it looks as though he may have arrived after that . Which could tie in with the 1863 marriage Margaret found .
          Many thanks
          EV.

Comment

I have replied to your PM with an email. I think the marriage is him and if the military records are him he is in the Army until 1855 so maybe can be found in 1861 but not where you expect him to be.

That 1871 census record is indexed under Higarty so you need to look at wide variations of his name.

Margaret

PS might be worth investigating where the 63rd Foot Regiment were in 1861.
            Last edited by margaretmarch; 19-01-13, 16:21.

Comment

The 1871 shows his birthplace as Derry so maybe not him in the Military records after all :(
              Margaret

Comment

Statutory recording of births, deaths and RC marriages only started in Ireland in 1864 so it will be impossible to trace Peter’s birth and parents in Donegal from stat sources.

Without an idea of the townland or at least parish he came from in Donegal it’ll be a needle in a haystack. You could try poor law records at the Mitchell library in Glasgow. If he and his wife ever applied for Poor Law support in the Glasgow area (and many did) then their parish of origin in Ireland and other family information should be recorded there.

The Mitchell Library is one of Europe’s largest public libraries with over one million items of stock and is the hub of a city-wide information service.
                Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Elwyn ,you are right about the needle in a haystack ! I didn`t know about the Mitchell Library , it sounds a good place to start .
                  Many thanks
                  EV

Comment

Working...
                  X