Mary Spurr in Yorkshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Spurr in Yorkshire

Mary Spurr was born in Sheffield around 1760 -1770, daughter of Peter and Hannah Spurr. Can anyone help with finding her marriage, please? I've drawn a blank. Thanks,

Originally posted by AnneToday View Post
    Mary Spurr was born in Sheffield around 1760 -1770, daughter of Peter and Hannah Spurr. Can anyone help with finding her marriage, please? I've drawn a blank. Thanks,
    Do you know for sure she did marry?
    Margaret

Comment

Yes, Margaret, I believe she did and had a daughter who married a man called Henry.

Comment

Mary Spurr marriage to Benjamin Hebdin, Dewsbury York 29 aug 1774
        Mary Spurr to John Brown, 4 Nov 1759 Sandal Magna York
        Mary Spurr Hemsworth Near Wakefield to William Gaskin 2 Sept 1771

Familysearch

Edna

sorry read it wrong thought the marriahe was around the dates given
        Last edited by clematised; 18-01-13, 15:19.

Comment

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ion_id=1473015

some here

Edna

Comment

Thank you Edna, I had tried the family search and drawn a blank, but it looks as though I should have put different information into the boxes. I'm new to that site. Anne.

Comment

Thank you, Edna. I think the one I need is William Gaskin, but I found Murfin/Mirfield on the Family Search, so I will send for a couple of certificates for the daughter's marriage to choose from. Anne

Comment

Hi Anne, please can you say how you got back to Mary Spurr without knowing her husband's name? You know her parents' were Peter and Hannah and this may be their marriage........ https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ion_id=1473015

Do you know the name/year of birth/year of marriage of her dau whose marriage you are searching for? Where does William Gaskin fit into your query?

Sorry for all the questions. I'd like to help you (as I'm sure would other members) however more information is necessary for us to be able assist.

Comment

Susan, yes, the marriage of Peter Spurr and Hannah Brittlebank is the one I have in the tree, and I know they had 7 children, 5 boys who would hold the name Spurr, and two daughters, Hannah(who married Alexander Kilham) and Mary. Hannah and Alexander had a niece - she was not called Spurr or Kilham - who married a man I believe was called Henry, in Sept 1939; they had a son Henry, but I am having difficulty in finding the name of the niece and the surname of H(enry). All I have is a diary entry, but as everybody is related few surnames are given. I'm thinking that William Gaskin may be Mary Spurr's husband and therefore father to the diarist,or it could be Henry Pearson. If I could decide this I could get the certificate of the 1839 marriage and find more details, hopefully. I don't believe this niece would have still been alive in 1881 and this is why I can't find her in the 1881 census on Family Search. Anne

Comment

Hannah Spurr married Alexander KElham 11th Apr 1798 Cathedral St Peter Sheffield, Yorks
                    from familysearch.
                    Moggie

Comment

Thank you, Moggie.

Comment

Anne, if I'm following you correctly - Hannah and Alexander Ki/elham had a niece named Mary who married a chap named Henry, Mary and Henry married Sept 1839?

Here's a list of Mary's marrying Sept 1839 in the Sheffield reg district with Henry's indexed on the same page.

ARCHER Mary Ann Sheffield 22 438
                        BELK Mary Sheffield 22 455
                        BOOKER Mary Sheffield 22 400
                        CALLAGAN Mary Sheffield 22 427
                        Davis Mary Sheffield 22 432
                        Downes Mary Sheffield 22 432
                        Foster Mary Sheffield 22 452
                        Furniss Mary Sheffield 22 410
                        Gillam Mary Sheffield 22 427
                        Gray Mary Sheffield 22 400
                        HUNT Mary Sheffield 22 413
                        JACKSON Mary Sheffield 22 457
                        LISTER Mary Sheffield 22 443
                        MAPPIN Mary Ann Sheffield 22 442
                        Poules Mary Sheffield 22 424
                        Smith Mary Ann Sheffield 22 424
                        Thorpe Mary Sheffield 22 427
                        WHEELER Mary Sheffield 22 428
                        WORRAL Mary Sheffield 22 428.

One which stood out to me was Mary Worral indexed on the page is Henry Gedney Robinson, but there's another possible three grooms indexed so Mary could have married one of the others.

The reason I noticed her was I found this marriage on family search.

groom's name John Worral
                        bride's name Mary Spurr
                        marriage date05 Sep 1792
                        marriage place Cathedral Saint Peter, Sheffield, York, England

I hope this info gives you some lines to follow up.

Comment

Thank you, Susan, I'll work my way through them starting with Mary Worrall. Anne.

Comment

Working...
                          X