1911 Gems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Gems

What do you this of these transcriptions. No wonder they couldn't be found on ancestry without a lot of effort

William Ugur Carler sould be William Alfred Carter
    Kare Carler sould be Kate Carter
    Ugur Headley Carler Sould be Alfred Headley Carter
    Kate Urenia Carler and best of all Kate Victoria Carter.

I had a copy of this from National Archives when you could get it for the price of a copy but just doing some more recearch on them and couldn't find them anywhere.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Originally posted by Lin Fisher View Post
    What do you this of these transcriptions. No wonder they couldn't be found on ancestry without a lot of effort

William Ugur Carler sould be William Alfred Carter
    Kare Carler sould be Kate Carter
    Ugur Headley Carler Sould be Alfred Headley Carter
    Kate Urenia Carler and best of all Kate Victoria Carter.

I had a copy of this from National Archives when you could get it for the price of a copy but just doing some more recearch on them and couldn't find them anywhere.
    do you think someone has corrected them Lin??? *sniggers*
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

There was a popular(ish) name, Urania.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Honestly - I've seen some mistranscriptions but this takes the biscuit. I hope you don't mind Lin but I have been busy correcting it. I thought it was only fair to others who may be looking. It wasn't just the names either. It was 3 places of birth and William's occupation. I can understand how mistranscriptions often happen but I think this transcriber must either have been drunk or maybe we should book an appointment for them at Specsavers:D I was trying to check the facts Lin but a bit stuck on the marriage. Was she originally born Catherine Grey by any chance?
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 19-01-13, 11:57.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks Chrissie

Been away for the week end and then been taking Dad to hospital and Doctors so not even looked at this thread again.

Yes she was Catherine Emily Grey I think. Alfred Headley Carter was OH Grandfather. OH's sister has been doing the research in a shoe string and I thiought I would see how far I could get myself.
          Lin

Comment

It does appear to be a bad transcription although I havent seen it myself. As a transcriber, if the name is illegible, I make a note to that effect. This seems like pure guesswork from someone not experienced in our First Names. Does anyone know if the Transcriptions were done outside the UK?

Comment

Alan

I have a feeling they were as I have found quite a few that have been transcribed wrongly but usually only the Surname or the first name. This was by far the best yet.
              Lin

Comment

Lin,

I was about to give up on Alfred Headley Carter, as a last resort did a Google search and came up with this message - Thank You! I am working on a project for Peterborough Museums & Libraries (Vivacity) relating to WW1. We would love to get in touch with any living relative to find out more about him and explain what we are working on.

Thanks, Nick

Comment

To save me checking, did he die in the war Nick?
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi Nick

Just found your reply. He is my husbands Grandfather. He died in Ilkeston Derbyshire in 1969.

If you need any info let me know but not sure why Peterborough Libraries need to know about him as he was born in Derby and paternal side came from Staffs.
                    Lin

Comment

http://www.vivacity-peterborough.com/museums-and-heritage/peterborough-and-the-great-war/

Basically back during the war years, Peterborough station was pretty busy and there was a tea bar operated by women volunteers to give some comfort to the servicemen passing through. There was a visitors book for comments or sketches and your Grandfather recorded an entry in one of these books. The project is to research the 300+ entries to find out who these troops were, where were they from and what became of them. The ultimate aim is to publish this information in various forms on the centenary of the entries to recognise the efforts and sacrifice of these men and women.

In your husbands Grandfathers case, it is great to find that he survived the war, sadly many being researched did not. What we would like to do, with families assistance, is to build a more informed life story, hopefully with a couple of photographs, for eventual publication. Unfortunately I do not have access from home to the page with your Grandfathers entry, I can get this and forward later in the week. Should you wish, you will have the opportunity to visit Peterborough and view the books in person.

Comment

Originally posted by ensee0233 View Post
                        http://www.vivacity-peterborough.com/museums-and-heritage/peterborough-and-the-great-war/

Basically back during the war years, Peterborough station was pretty busy and there was a tea bar operated by women volunteers to give some comfort to the servicemen passing through. There was a visitors book for comments or sketches and your Grandfather recorded an entry in one of these books. The project is to research the 300+ entries to find out who these troops were, where were they from and what became of them. The ultimate aim is to publish this information in various forms on the centenary of the entries to recognise the efforts and sacrifice of these men and women.

In your husbands Grandfathers case, it is great to find that he survived the war, sadly many being researched did not. What we would like to do, with families assistance, is to build a more informed life story, hopefully with a couple of photographs, for eventual publication. Unfortunately I do not have access from home to the page with your Grandfathers entry, I can get this and forward later in the week. Should you wish, you will have the opportunity to visit Peterborough and view the books in person.
                        how fabulous!! bet you are well chuffed Lin! x
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

What a wonderful idea, and how lovely for the families to be able to see this.

Comment

Hi Nick

I think it is a lovely idea but will have to put it to my husbands siblings first. I don't know an awful lot about him except dates etc. Will be back to you soon. We were in Peterborough earlier this year and its a fantastic place with a beautiful cathedral.
                            Lin

Comment

Just had a thought if you have any more "missing soldiers" perhaps post some names on here under a new heading and you never know some of us may be related to them and be able to help. I would love to think some of my family were being well looked after during the war and it does add "meat" to our families otherwise sometime we only have dates and places where born and census records.
                              Lin

Comment

What a great idea to find out more about those passing through Peterborough.

A cafe in Folkestone also had books of signatures of those passing through the port on their way to the Western front.

Comment

That is good Lin thank you, the aim is to tread carefully and not upset anyone. Thanks for the nice comments about Peterborough too.

Comment

Thanks Gwyn, will pass this on to the Project Leader. Very similar to what we have but we only have two books to work from.

Comment

Nick I will try an get back to you this week but really busy at the mo.

Gwyn, has a quick look at your book but will have a better look at week end
                                      Lin

Comment

Hi Nick

I have been to see Alfred Headley Carters daughter and she is really happy to help.

He was born 5 May 1896 in Derby to William Alfred Carter and Catherine Emily Grey. William was from Staffordshire and Catherine was from Newcastle on Tyne.

He had a sister called Kate Victoria and a half sister Francis Grey.

He married Minnie Parkes in 1919 in Ilkeston Derbys, had 11 children.

Died 6 Apr 1961 at home in Ilkeston. If any one looks for his death reg it is under Albert H Carter. Chrissie has been helping me sort it out. A big thanks to her.

If you need anyone info let me know. Nothing much is known about his time in the army.
                                        Lin

Comment

Working...
                                        X