A Polish Heritage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Polish Heritage

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this so feel free to move it if necessary.
    10 years ago I started researching my husband's Polish family tree. It was a hard slog but by 2008 I felt I was getting somewhere. In fact part of this story was published in Family Tree Forum magazine. To cut a long story short, I put all of the history I could accumulate into a booklet on Ancestry My Canvas and had two copies made for my husband and son. I have since scanned the book and published it on my blog. Click on the tab 'A Polish Heritage' on the bar under the black swan. Feel free to pop in there if you are interested, comments welcome.
    The last page has references to where I discovered a lot of the information, apart of course from family anecdotes, relating to transportation from Poland to USSR gulags (Concentration Camps) and General Anders Polish 2nd Corp formed in Russia in 1942.
    This maybe of help to those researching their Polish roots.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

I think it's super Kat.. I did wonder quite where you had got too.. as I hadn't seen you about as much :smilee:

the blog is looking FAB and I love the cards too :smilee:
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie, I have been spending a lot of time lately on doing my daughter-in-law's family tree but do admit to spending too much time on a couple of games on Facebook:( I'm trying to wean myself off that! Also the cards and grandchildren take up a lot of my time.
      With not having Ancestry and fmp I haven't been much help to anyone on here. I have really missed not having Ancestry so I have renewed my sub again - might see you around a bit more now!
      Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

I know what you mean Kat, we do tend to get diverted from time to time :smilee:

but it is nice to see you 'about'

and I might need to pick your brains too, about a Polish relative [I think I might have asked you about him before]
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I read thru the entire 'A Polish Heritage' and was very impressed! What a lovely document, and a wonderful gift as well. Having spent considerable time pursuing my father's Polish background, I appreciate many of the hurdles.

Again, very nice! And the cards were a lovely bonus!

Comment

Your reference to the Battle of Monte Cassino rung a bell for me. A friend had mentioned it and would like to visit the site as her father fought in that battle. I passed along the link to 'A Polish Heritage' and her response was this: "The Battle of Monte Cassino invasion was indeed a devastating yet turning point in the Allied campaign against the Germans. My dad would have agreed....it was 'hell' itself! Interestingly enough, it was his recollection of this battle that he came up with the name for his book. He remembers details going up the mountain...but didn't remember a thing about getting back down. He often thought that he had actually died in the war and that he was living a dream. The title of his book 'Perhaps They Left Us Up There' refers to his illusion."

I thought I'd pass that along to you. I haven't read the book myself, but perhaps I should.

Comment

Working...
            X