Divorce details

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce details

Is it possible to find out the date of a person's divorce on line please?

sunny x

What sort of period are you looking at?
    Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie between 1925 and 1938 .

sunny x

Comment

Hi Sunny

I would think its very unlikely. If it was a particularly sensational case it might be in the newspapers.

Some older cases (up to 1937) have files at the National Archives but even then you have to go there or order copy which can be expensive. If you find the case you're looking for the description may give you a bit of a clue. To see whether any particular case is there, go to the Catalogue here

put the name in the word or phrase box and J77 in the Department or Series code. You may be lucky

There's a guide here about it

Jackie

Comment

Thanks for the refs: Jackie. I am just hoping that he didn't marry my friend's Mother bigamously!!! Though she is prepared for anything, when I asked her if he had been married before, she said "who knows"? He had a daughter from his first marriage, sadly she died in 2002, so J will be unable to connect with her.

sunny x

Comment

Have you checked whether the first wife died? Both of my grandfathers' first wives died in that time frame and they were only in their 20s. One was in childbirth and I've yet to get the cert for the other.
            Jackie

Comment

He married wife 1 in 1924 , she died 1968 (having not married again) he married wife 2 in 1938, he died 1950,.

sunny

Comment

Does he say he is divorced at his second marriage? Th Registrar requires proof of a divorce, but not of widowhood or bachelorhood!

OC

Comment

Sorry OC don't know the answer to that question, will be seeing J tomorrow so will be asking her if she has any certs of her late parents. Thanks for your help heading for my snuggly warm bed now. night night.

sunny x

Comment

He may have stated on the second marriage cert he was a bachelor, thus proving bigamy, I have one of these still married to the first wife with kids, while marrying the second wife as a single man.
                    It may be cheaper to get the marriage cert than search divorce papers.

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                      He may have stated on the second marriage cert he was a bachelor, thus proving bigamy, I have one of these still married to the first wife with kids, while marrying the second wife as a single man.
                      It may be cheaper to get the marriage cert than search divorce papers.

Edna

My friend has her parents marriage cert, which I have here in front of me, it states that Walter was a bachelor aged 33, in fact he was 43 and prolly still married to his 1st wife then. So looks like bigamy then Edna? Oh dear!!!!

sunny x

Comment

Hi

My husband's grandfather married in 1924 and got divorced to remarry in 1934, I found his divorce papers on the A2A and got copies it cost me around £18 for them all but that was about 4 or 5 years ago so may be more now. Very interesting read worth looking for. I ordered them on line and downloaded them so didn't need to visit to get them. Good luck

Anne
                        Last edited by insane40; 16-01-13, 18:38.

Comment

Hi Anne,
                          I think this time there was no divorce as the marriage record would have stated name of previous wife as in formerly married to Name Name and as he has put Bachelor he is covering up his marriage.

Edna

Comment

He could still have been divorced. He may not have told his new wife he was a divorced man as divorce was seen as shockingly scandalous and her parents might not have liked it!

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              He could still have been divorced. He may not have told his new wife he was a divorced man as divorce was seen as shockingly scandalous and her parents might not have liked it!

OC
                              I know for certain now that he never divorced his first wife and never knew his daughter by her, info from the grandaughter who has been in touch with me through Ancestry.

Comment

Working...
                              X