Family search- Pearsons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family search- Pearsons

Hi all, a friend my OH asked if I could post the following information as she needs some help with details for her own research -

I gave up FMP and Ancestry early last year as I seemed to have reached 'the end'! and it was getting too expensive. I have quite a lot of info from (various sources) Bishops' Transcripts. Although I know these are 'fact' from library archives I cannot find the info on the IGI. There are a lot of crossings out, corrections and unlikely dates. (Could the Bishop have been partaking too liberally or just in a hurry?).Could anyone who has FMP or Ancestry please look-up one of them for me as a 'test piece' to see if it would be worth taking-up one of these options again?

50 Doc.BT. Jenkin Pearson ch. 24th April 1759 at All Saints, Scaleby, Cumbs. Death:Jenkins Pearson b'd 19th June 1834 aged 77 (1757) at Christ Church, Carlisle. Married 1782 see below:

History: Doc: married. BT. page. 49 1782 no: 174. 8th May 1782 "Jenken Pearson of this Parish of Scalby, Botchergate aged 22 (23?) years married 51 Elizabeth (deleted) Isabel Sewell of this Parish Spinster aged 22 ..... in this church by banns this eighth day of May in the year of one thousand seven hundred and eighty two by me Rev. Richard Gore(?) Minister." St Cuthbert, Carlisle. "This Marriage was solemnized between us: Jenkin Pearson and the mark X of Isabel Pearson (late Sewell). In the presence of: Thomas Dalton. (b. 8th Dec. 1757(?) and John Pearson. (Father or brother." Doc: "Died as Isabella Pearson 11th January 1845 aged 94 (1751) of 'debility' in St. Mary's Workhouse. Widow of the late Jenkin Pearson. Cotton Spinner. Informant: William Davidson. Present at death. Saint Mary's Workhouse."

It took me 10 years to find Jenkin Chadwick - and now I find he was adopted and not Chadwick but Pearson! And there are hundreds of Pearsons in Cumberland.

I hope you can follow all this thanks in advance.
    Rob

https://handmadebooksbyrob.wixsite.com/website/
    https://www.facebook.com/handmadebooks.byrob.7
    searching: Hunt, Parker, Beaumont, Horsfall, Redfearn, Barker Spratt and Sidwell

Originally posted by rob123 View Post
    Hi all, a friend my OH asked if I could post the following information as she needs some help with details for her own research -

I gave up FMP and Ancestry early last year as I seemed to have reached 'the end'! and it was getting too expensive. I have quite a lot of info from (various sources) Bishops' Transcripts. Although I know these are 'fact' from library archives I cannot find the info on the IGI. There are a lot of crossings out, corrections and unlikely dates. (Could the Bishop have been partaking too liberally or just in a hurry?).Could anyone who has FMP or Ancestry please look-up one of them for me as a 'test piece' to see if it would be worth taking-up one of these options again?

50 Doc.BT. Jenkin Pearson ch. 24th April 1759 at All Saints, Scaleby, Cumbs. Death:Jenkins Pearson b'd 19th June 1834 aged 77 (1757) at Christ Church, Carlisle. Married 1782 see below:

History: Doc: married. BT. page. 49 1782 no: 174. 8th May 1782 "Jenken Pearson of this Parish of Scalby, Botchergate aged 22 (23?) years married 51 Elizabeth (deleted) Isabel Sewell of this Parish Spinster aged 22 ..... in this church by banns this eighth day of May in the year of one thousand seven hundred and eighty two by me Rev. Richard Gore(?) Minister." St Cuthbert, Carlisle. "This Marriage was solemnized between us: Jenkin Pearson and the mark X of Isabel Pearson (late Sewell). In the presence of: Thomas Dalton. (b. 8th Dec. 1757(?) and John Pearson. (Father or brother." Doc: "Died as Isabella Pearson 11th January 1845 aged 94 (1751) of 'debility' in St. Mary's Workhouse. Widow of the late Jenkin Pearson. Cotton Spinner. Informant: William Davidson. Present at death. Saint Mary's Workhouse."

It took me 10 years to find Jenkin Chadwick - and now I find he was adopted and not Chadwick but Pearson! And there are hundreds of Pearsons in Cumberland.

I hope you can follow all this thanks in advance.
    If this information has come from Bishops Transcripts they will be 'right' all that is on IGI is transcribed from Parish Records and maybe Bishops Transcripts so I'm not sure why the friend needs any other confirmation.
    There is tons of stuff not on IGI as it is an incomplete copy of what was found in those original records looked at and they did not look at all the records that were available - many records are lost/destroyed anyway!

Margaret
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 13-01-13, 12:26. Reason: clarify wording

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
      If this information has come from Bishops Transcripts they will be 'right' all that is on IGI is transcribed from Parish Records and maybe Bishops Transcripts so I'm not sure why the friend needs any other confirmation.
      There is tons of stuff not on IGI as it is an incomplete copy of what was found in those original records looked at and they did not look at the records that were available - many records are lost/destroyed anyway!

Margaret
      Worth a mention that [a] Bishop's Transcripts very occasionally manage to carry extra info. [b] like any transcription, they carry the risk of human error.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Margaret and Christine I will pass the info on to our friend
        Rob

https://handmadebooksbyrob.wixsite.com/website/
        https://www.facebook.com/handmadebooks.byrob.7
        searching: Hunt, Parker, Beaumont, Horsfall, Redfearn, Barker Spratt and Sidwell

Comment

It's also worth a mention that FamilySearch is continuously adding new data and images - not all of which are directly accessible.

I am on the circulation for the FHC Toronto newsletter. It's really useful for telling you what new records have become available - especially on FamilySearch, but also on other genealogy sites. More detail here: http://torontofhc.blogspot.com/

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

they are mostly adding italian, portugese and spanish records at the moment. though they added a bunch of kent records a few months ago.

Comment

If your friend wants specific lookups in the Cumbria Carlisle Archives I could do that. I'm afraid my time wouldn't run to searching for random Pearsons though.

By the way .... the Bishop's Transcripts are made by the parish FOR the Bishop and not by the Bishop himself!

Anne

Comment

Working...
              X