Thomas/Stephen/Steven Roe/Rowe/Row

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas/Stephen/Steven Roe/Rowe/Row

Thomas Steven/Stephen Roe/Rowe/Row was born in 1836 in Nottingham to parents Henry Roe and Maria nee Lydall.

I have him with his grandparents [I think] in 1841 and with his parents in 1851

I cannot find him after this.

his mum [Maria] I think in 1841 with her parents, though I have not found Henry in 1841 at all

1841:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=7619

baptism:

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

1841: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...dpidz0q252cpid

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 870; Book: 5; Civil Parish: St Mary; County: Nottinghamshire; Enumeration District: 9; Folio: 11; Page: 15; Line: 14; GSU roll: 474570

1851: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1851&indiv=1

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 2131; Folio: 302; Page: 41; GSU roll: 87761.

am having difficulties finding anything, can anyone spot anything please.
    Last edited by Darksecretz; 11-01-13, 22:14.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Possible in 1911

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ngland&indiv=1

Links to the other censuses are on that page too. Though he seems to have lost 10 years of his life which might be why you couldn't find him (if it's the same person)
    Last edited by ozgirl; 11-01-13, 21:17.
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Darn he's on the 1851 aged 3 son of John and Elizabeth, so the probate is not him.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1851&indiv=1
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

hmmmn, I am not sure that he is the right one now... Thomas Stephen in 1851 was a cordwainer...so how likely is it that a cordwainer would change occupation and become a train driver?
        Julie

Comment

crossed posts there Linda! I see what you mean, i'll amend the thingy...lol
          Julie

Comment

Hi Julie, there's a Family Tree For a Steven Roe on Ancestry...........is it yours?
            In trying to help I notice there's an abundance of Roes in your part of the world but I picked up on this if a possibilty; FreeBMD Death in Jan 1896 Nottingham for a Thomas Roe.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
              Hi Julie, there's a Family Tree For a Steven Roe on Ancestry...........is it yours?
              In trying to help I notice there's an abundance of Roes in your part of the world but I picked up on this if a possibilty; FreeBMD Death in Jan 1896 Nottingham for a Thomas Roe.
              good morning Alan, I have created a twiglet yesterday for this branch, [if its me you will notice the same username as here] I do know of several tress for the Roes, though it doesn't help that they have so many different spellings!! I think that he either died or emigrated, I do need to check the burials though.
              Julie

Comment

Hi All

I only have Steven Roe where does the Thomas come from?

Comment

Hello Peter,

if you click this link it shows you Thomas' baptism, https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NPJM-FR8

and no Thomas appears on the census with Henry/Maria only a Steven/Stephen.. as per my links on my first post.

I have also created a Roe family tree on Ancestry Peter, if you would like me to add you then give me a shout. :smilee:
                  Julie

Comment

Have you had a look at

Military records
                    First name(s): Thomas
                    Last name: ROE
                    Calculated year of birth: 1835
                    Parish of birth: Old Lenton
                    Town of birth: Nottingham
                    County of birth: Nottinghamshire
                    Age at attestation: 18 years 2 months
                    Discharge date: 14 May 1853
                    Attestation corps:
                    Attestation soldier number:
                    Discharge rank: Corporal
                    Discharge corps: Royal Artiller
                    Discharge soldier number: 4068
                    The National Archives reference: WO97 / 1830 / 80

he would be 2 yrs out and going back to Lenton Occ labourer (now 40), there is a marriage if it could be traced if only to discount as he does serve abroad and because I haven't found another one yet:D
                    Last edited by Elaine; 12-01-13, 20:28.
                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

looks like son Henry in my favour!

Discharged 7 April 1875

and then I found his parents so not him, this one is son of James. This one must be driving you nuts
                      Last edited by Elaine; 12-01-13, 20:31.
                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

mm there is another Roe family that are 'about' in Lenton, not sure if they are tied in yet.. there is another lot too that live in/around Eastwood but I don't know about those yet.

please don't stop looking though, it just seems odd that 'Thomas' is bapt and then 'Steven/Stephen' appears in census after that.. may be they are two separate people, but, somewhere along the lines I have him as Thomas Steven/Stephen
                        Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                          looks like son Henry in my favour!
                          eh???
                          Julie

Comment

Hi Julie
                            I havn't used ancestry. Is there a way of viewing this without subscribing or do I need to join ancestry? Ive used genesreunited up til now.
                            Peter

Comment

Hi Julie
                              Re your original post, you said that you could not find Henry at all in 1841. I found 2 entries -
                              Henry Roe b1816 was living with Eliza Roe b1821 and Sarah Roe b 1781 at Butcher Street, St Mary which is the address that crops up in the 1851 census AND
                              Henry Roe b1817 was living with the "Fisher" family at Church Yard Side, Mansfield.
                              I assumed the latter was my Henry as although married his wife Maria was living with her parents in Derby in 1841 and we know that Steven was living with his grandparents.

I think that Thomas and Steven are 2 different people as Steven is given as aged 13 in the 1841 census which suggests that he was born in 1838 and the records for Thomas give his birth year as 1836.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by samthechess View Post
                                Hi Julie
                                I havn't used ancestry. Is there a way of viewing this without subscribing or do I need to join ancestry? Ive used genesreunited up til now.
                                Peter
                                I think that you can add/edit trees without subscribing to ancestry itself. Let me have a look and see if I can figure out what it is/does.. is your email still the Yahoo one? [please don't post it on here though] as we like to protect our members from possible spammers..
                                Julie

Comment

Originally posted by samthechess View Post
                                  Hi Julie
                                  Re your original post, you said that you could not find Henry at all in 1841. I found 2 entries -
                                  Henry Roe b1816 was living with Eliza Roe b1821 and Sarah Roe b 1781 at Butcher Street, St Mary which is the address that crops up in the 1851 census AND
                                  Henry Roe b1817 was living with the "Fisher" family at Church Yard Side, Mansfield.
                                  I assumed the latter was my Henry as although married his wife Maria was living with her parents in Derby in 1841 and we know that Steven was living with his grandparents.

I think that Thomas and Steven are 2 different people as Steven is given as aged 13 in the 1841 census which suggests that he was born in 1838 and the records for Thomas give his birth year as 1836.

Peter

Peter, I had seen those two Henry's but, I am a little unsure as to whether they would be the right ones or not. I realise that the 1841 does not give relationships and that also the dates could be a little out due to the 'rounding' of ages, also re the 1851 census, that the age for Steven could be right, as on the census it asks for age 'last birthday' or something similar so if he had a birthday the yr would be out.

I have sent a request to you via the yahoo addy so you should be able to access the ancestry tree.
                                  Julie

Comment

right I have had a look at Henry/Eliza and Sarah in 1841, and have I think found their marriage on my disc. Henry ROE to Eliza NEWTON 15th March 1841 in St Pauls Parish Nottingham. [and from later census it looks like Henry comes from Belper in DERBYSHIRE.] so possibly Sarah was his mother.

though it is rather a strange coincidence that they [Henry & Maria that is!] should be living in the same street 10yrs later..

so I am now more inclined to go with the Henry that is a Cordwainer in Mansfield in 1841, [even though he is stated as being born in county] but we know different!
                                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 13-01-13, 14:26.
                                    Julie

Comment

looking again at henry/eliza it might be that her MN was NICKLESON as there is an Elizabeth there as a Mother, though I cannot see a likely marriage!

Julie

Comment

I have been checking discs etc.. I have the baptism of Thomas [above] to Henry/Maria, and then nothing... so what happened to him?

then we have Stephen that 'pops' up in 1838 and is on the 1841/51 cens then nothing... I have seen the birth reg for a Stephen in JFM 1838 in Nottingham,

There is a burial for a Thomas ROE in 1840 but he is aged 6 so am thinking that praps he isn't the one I am after. [he was buried in St Peters] though I need to check my parish map to see where that is!
                                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 13-01-13, 17:09.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X