Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frederick Windsor Stevenson born in Alexandria, Egypt

Hi,
    I am after a little help with tracing details about my 2nd great grandfather, Frederick Windsor Stevenson (b. 1870). The census records from 1891 onwards have his place of birth of Alexandria, Egypt, followed by the annotation of resident/ British subject by parentage. He was married to Kate Arabella Kebbell in 1893 in London. His father's name was George Eliott Stevenson. However, I cannot find any trace of him prior to the 1891 census or any trace of his father. Could anyone help in providing any information about Frederick or where I could be able to find any information regarding his early years and how he happened to be born in Egypt.
    Many thanks in advance,
    Dale

Welcome to FTF, Dale. There are 2 places where free information on overseas events is available. The first is www.familyrelatives.com . This is a subscription or pay-per-view site, but British overseas birth, marriage and death records are free to access. The indexing is a bit strange, because the original records come in all shapes and sizes. The second is www.familysearch.org which is a database maintained by the Latter Day Saints church.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Frederick's birth is listed in the overseas records on FindmyPast; these indexes don't tell you who the parents are, but it gives the volume and page number you need to send off to the GRO for the cert.

Comment

There's a listing in the Probate Calendar on Ancestry for a George Elliott Stevenson who died in 1910. Probate to Arthur David Stevenson, engineer. George's address is given as 82 North-view Road, Hornsey. He appears on the electoral rolls (on Ancestry) in Hornsey and Hackney from 1888 to 1896, but I can't see him after that.

This is presumably his death:

Deaths Dec 1910
        Stevenson George E 71 Edmonton 3a 216

which would mean he was born around 1839.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-01-13, 23:02.

Comment

parentWilliam James Stevenson, Charlotte
          nameGeorge Elliott Stevenson
          genderMale
          baptism/christening date19 Jun 1839
          baptism/christening placeST MARY WHITECHAPEL,STEPNEY,LONDON,ENGLAND
          father's nameWilliam James Stevenson
          mother's nameCharlotte
          indexing project (batch) numberC00629-9
          system originEngland-ODM
          source film number94697, 94698

Found on Familysearch

Edna

Comment

Familysearch has him in 1901 census living in Lewisham Holy Trinity parish

Edna

Comment

1891 census

RG12, piece 185, folio 119 page 41

25 Farleigh Rd, Hackney

George E Stevenson mercantile clerk Widower aged 51 (or 57?) b London St George
              Gwendoline M aged 17 dressmaker
              Alfred E aged 16 mercantile clerk
              Percy A 14 scholar
              Ernest H 12 scholat
              Maria J King mother in law 65 b Ely Cambridge

All the children were born in Egypt
              Jackie

Comment

I found this by searching the newspaper archives for George Elliott Stevenson. The only thing that came up was a 1960 obituary in The Times (26th Sept 1960) for Lady Chiozza Money "widow or Sir Leo Chiozza Money, died on Thursday at the age of 87. She was Gwendolen, daughter of George Elliott Stevenson and her marriage took place in 1892"

The marriage is on Ancestry and George was a witness

Jackie

Comment

George Elliott Stevenson married in Alexandria between 1860 and 1863. There were two marriages with the page ref (3 209), the other was for John Richard Stevenson (a brother?). The 2 brides were Ann Cherry and Maria Eliza Rees. Maria Eliza died between 1881 and 1885, which might tie in with the births of the children Jackie found.
                  Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

There are a couple of trees for this family on Ancestry. According to them George Elliotts father died before 1851, and his mother Charlotte remarried to a Thomas Brown - link to the Stevensons in 1841 (spelled Stephenson). http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=7666199
                    Last edited by ozgirl; 08-01-13, 23:31. Reason: stray punctuation
                    Linda

Comment

Info on Chiozza Money

http://www.oxforddnb.com/templates/a...ersion=2010-05
                      Last edited by ozgirl; 08-01-13, 23:34.
                      Linda

Comment

Maria Eliza Rees was the daughter of Maria J King from Ely (George's mother-in-law in 1891) by her first marriage: see the 1861 census and the London baptisms on Ancestry (bap. 1846).
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-01-13, 23:46.

Comment

Births Dec 1846
                          Rees Maria Eliza Islington 3 278

Marriages Dec 1854
                          Ettershank Robert Clerkenwell 1b 699
                          >> King William Clerkenwell 1b 699
                          Newbery Ann Clerkenwell 1b 699
                          >> Rees Maria Jane Clerkenwell 1b 699

That marriage cert is on Ancestry; Maria Jane's maiden name looks like Eidsforth, which ties in with this marriage:

Marriages Mar 1846
                          Eiderworth Maria Jane Shoreditch 2 332
                          Eidsforth Maria Jane Shoreditch 2 332
                          Rees David Shoreditch 2 332
                          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-01-13, 23:56.

Comment

Alfred Elliott Stevenson, son of George married in 1904 - on his marriage cert his fathers occupation is "Engineer". It's possible that George was one of the many British engineers who went out to Egypt to help build their railways.

Alfreds marriage http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=4059455
                            Linda

Comment

All,
                              Many thanks for your assistance - it's given me something to work on from here.

Comment

Who needs professional researchers?? This family may be a bit similar to one featured on Heir Hunters a couple of years back. The father was a telegraph engineer and his children were born in different places as the telegraph network spread east towards India.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Yes, I have a similar family, where the father worked on the railways in Argentina.

Comment

George Elliott Stevenson

Originally posted by dpatterson25 View Post
                                    Hi,
                                    I am after a little help with tracing details about my 2nd great grandfather, Frederick Windsor Stevenson (b. 1870). The census records from 1891 onwards have his place of birth of Alexandria, Egypt, followed by the annotation of resident/ British subject by parentage. He was married to Kate Arabella Kebbell in 1893 in London. His father's name was George Eliott Stevenson. However, I cannot find any trace of him prior to the 1891 census or any trace of his father. Could anyone help in providing any information about Frederick or where I could be able to find any information regarding his early years and how he happened to be born in Egypt.
                                    Many thanks in advance,
                                    Dale
                                    Hello Dale,
                                    I know this is a very old post. My line is through William Richard Stevenson, George Elliott's brother. I was wondering if you found out anything about his reason for being in Egypt. I have been filling in the gaps as much as possible of family members and I may have a clue

Audette

Comment

Working...
                                    X