Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you stop going in circles?

Hay all,

Im going round and round in circles with my family Tree and its starting to send me a little crazy ....

Im mostly getting stuck in the UK and im begining to dread any members of the tree being from over seas. Im hitting brick walls left right and center and just dont know what to do any more. Iv tried putting each person aside for a bit and coming back after working on others but this dosent seem to work either

So any tips on how to stop from wanting to just chuck it all in and give up?

Cheers

Why not put some details on the forum. There are many members here who can help you.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Rainy. Why not pick out one bit of your tree and put it up for the experts in the Research Advice to look at...there is some pretty impressive collective expertise there and they may just be able to give you a kick start with some of your problems

Beverley

Comment

One im stuck on is the same people i was asking about here 5 or 6 moths ago : http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...he-right-track

Iv still gotten no further with that one, so i put them aside to work on another part of the tree and ended up with a :

George Brown born Sussex England immigrated to Australia before 1881

yep thats it for George i cant even find a death certificate here (aus) cause there are soooo many George Browns around ( where's a brick wall when you need to bang you head against it LoL ) and looking for a birth with no clue of parents names is really hard.

Thanks for listening to my rant guys, hubby just tells me to get over it

Comment

Do you have any clues about George Brown's birthdate?

Comment

Unfortunately no I don't the info I have is off his son's birth cert and there is no age given for George. Joseph ( son ) was born in 1881 so that's how I figured he must have come to Australia before then.

Comment

Do you have the mother's name for the son Joseph? Do you know if she and George were married in Australia or were married before they went out there?
              Elaine

Comment

Yes i do, mother of joseph is Elizabeth Pierce ( Maiden Name Edwards ) She was born in Warterloo NSW, they were married in sydney 27 july 1878, She was 34 when joseph was born 17 July 1881 ( according to Josephs Birth cert )

Thanks for your help guys i really apreciate it !!

Comment

What sort of info does an Australian marriage certificate give - would it have his age/occupation and the names of his parents?
                  Elaine

Comment

Of course it dose im such a .... and iv got it here :

Ok George Brown (HIS X MARK) <no idea what that means
                    Birth: England
                    Father: John Brown
                    Mother: Elizabeth ( surname not stated )

Elizabeth Pearce
                    Birth: Sydney
                    Father: Joseph Edwards
                    Mother: Elizabeth Sefton

Date: 29 June 1878
                    Place: Parramatta NSW

i feel like an idiot now :o
                    Last edited by Rainy; 06-01-13, 11:40.

Comment

Don't be silly - it happens to us all. You put something on a back burner because you are stumped and then when you look at it again something obvious jumps out.

So we are looking for a George Brown, born c 1850 - parents John Brown & Elizabeth unknown.
                      Arrived in Australia pre June 1878
                      You said George was born Sussex - where does that info come from?
                      Elaine

Comment

Yep that's right the Sussex bit came from Joseph's birth cert

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                          So we are looking for a George Brown, born c 1850 Sussex - parents John Brown & Elizabeth unknown.
                          Arrived in Australia pre June 1878
                          Not having much luck in finding anything for you. Nothing in the UK census which matches that info, even looking for a birth of 1850 +/- 5 years.
                          Elaine

Comment

Rainy--I really do understand how you feel! I've been feeling the same way this winter. I am searching for the B, M, & D certs for Dugald, a 2 x ggrandfather, who seems to have suffered from a paranoia of identity theft. I'm tenacious though, so I'm not giving up. Rather than moving on to another subject, I've continued to search, and in doing so am bringing Dugald's branch of the tree into focus. I still haven't found his BMD certs, but I've now got a pretty good idea about much of his family. Sooner or later I'll find the elusive Dugald, and in the meantime I've been doing constructive work. I also find it easier to stay with one branch of the family than to bounce around. I become quite intimate with all the individuals--their names, dates, children--which makes searches far easier.

Good luck with those walls!

Comment

Rainy, to answer your other comment HIS X MARK - George couldn't write, so made "his mark" as an X, instead of signing the certificate.
                              Last edited by ozgirl; 06-01-13, 14:44.
                              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

What about this one? George W Brown born Sussex, parents John and Elizabeth, living in Surrey. Trouble is he is only 6 on the 1861 census.

Anne

Comment

You might think about all the counties starting with Su (Surrey, Sussex, and Suffolk) I think they all cause confusion for people who don't actually live in them.

Its very, very difficult though ... no wonder you are stuck! Unless you actually have an arrival date in Australia I'm not sure how you'll find which is the right one.

Anne

Comment

do you have any births for other children of george and elizabeth? sometimes other certs contain more information about the parents. one may say england, another sussex, and another may mention the actual town the father was born in.

if you have all the other kids sighted in the indexes, then you have a date of 'last sighting' and can look at deaths from that time up to the time george would be 100.......if you know when his wife died, you could get her cert and see if she was a widow....then readjust from there.

Comment

Sometimes you need to go around and about to find what you need. I checked up on Elizabeth Pierce/Peirce/Pearce nee Edwards. If she was born in Waterloo to Joseph and Elizabeth, then she was baptised in 1846, a couple of years earlier than stated on the certificates (marriage and Joseph's birth). Her first husband was Henry Peirce who died in 1875.

There is an ancestry tree which shows Joseph Brown born 1881 died 1949 Penrith NSW (parents George and Elizabeth). There is also a NSW BDM index entry for Elizabeth Brown, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth died 1927 at Penrith. The funeral notice ( http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/arti...||l-year=1927z) mentions no husband, the funeral to depart from her sons reisdence Cambridge St Kingswood, on 20 April 1927. If this is the right family, then clearly George Brown died before 1927. (or maybe they were separated or divorced ? a bit unusual, but not unheard of).

At least this limits the time frame down to pre-1927 for likely George's death. I cannot see a likely death notice for a George Brown son of John and Elizabeth, or with no parents listed, it would depend on who registered the death as to what information was recorded.

If you know any occupation for George Brown, we could try to look at the Sands Directories and ELectoral Rolls. Many times, if a man belonged to a Masonic Lodge then his fellow members were informed of the funeral by a newspaper notice, so that could be help too.

Di
                                      Last edited by dicole; 06-01-13, 23:00.
                                      Diane
                                      Sydney Australia
                                      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Also found her death notice

Sydney Morning Herald 20 Apr 1927.

BROWN-April 18, 1927. at her son's (Mr Joseph Brown) residence, Cambridge street, Kingswood, Elizabeth Brown age 82 years.

Makes her birth about 1845 which matches with her birth/baptism record in the BDM indexes
                                        Diane
                                        Sydney Australia
                                        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Working...
                                        X