salkell/selkeld help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• salkell/selkeld help please

i'm having difficulties with the family called salkell after 1861.

i believe the parents are john salkell/selkeld who married margaret clementson. i have no marriage, just the evidence that margaret clementson was b.1829 neasham, durham, and john's wife fits that info. and john and margaret's eldest daughter was born in hornby, yorks which is where margaret clementson's mother was born.

1861: old acres (farm), butterwick, stockton district of durham.

john selkell- 42, b.1819 sneaton yorks, ag lab.
    margaret - 32, b.1829, neasham, durham.
    jane- 12, b.1849, hornby yorks.
    frances- 10, b.1851, old acres (as is all the other kids)
    john -8, b.1853
    thomas -5, b.1856
    james -2, b.1859
    margaret a.- 5mths, b.1860.

i can't find the family in 1851. the closest for jane is jane salkeld b.1848 manfield yorks, staying with grandparents thomas b.1801 manfield and anne b.1787 eaglecliffe durham.

margaret is down as margaret clemitson b.1832 neasham, a servant in a school in durham.

so maybe jane is illegitimate? and the parents never married? or margaret isn't a clementson?
    help please!

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
    i'm having difficulties with the family called salkell after 1861.

so maybe jane is illegitimate? and the parents never married? or margaret isn't a clementson?
    help please!
    Another possible scenario is that Jane belonged to a former wife who died??
    Can't get a definite lead on the family before your 1861 census ref though - sorry.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

In 1851 the family is transcribed as SOAKELL, Old Acres Farm Butterwick

Comment

The family are at Butterwick in 1851, as SOAKELL, HO7, piece 2384, folio 607, page 3 and in 1871, still shown as SOAKELL, they are at Haverton Hill, North Street, Bellingham, RG10, piece 4899, folio 0, page 33. In 1881, as SAWKILL, they are at 16 North Street, Billingham, RG11, piece 4894, folio 8, page 9. John seems to have left the land and was then a 'Labourer in I Works'.

merleyone

Comment

Well done, Frazzled

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Following on from Frazzled & merleyone, what about this marriage?
            John Soakell &(1 of the 2 possible partners) Margaret Johnson Northallerton reg Dist Jun qtr 1848

Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 05-01-13, 11:15.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

thank you everyone for the help. i would never have thought of those names to search under. i was at first weary of the 1851, as margaret said manfield for birthplace. but the others she all said neasham.

of course i then have to wonder, is she margaret clementson? if so, who is the one i have in 1851? she named a daughter frances, of which she has a sister and a great aunt, so i think that is good.

janet, i could not find a birth for a margaret johnson after 1813 at hurworth in freereg. that doesn't mean they have it anyway though. i may have to go on familysearch and look through the register.

looks like i will have to find a child's birth cert, and order one.

Comment

For the record - Salkeld here in Garston and he tells me his Salkeld ancestors came from Hungary ..
                allan
                Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

All the children seem to be registered at birth with the surname SALKELD, as you say think the only option is to send for one of the certs to get the mother's surname. Cannot find a marriage for a John Salkeld with a wife Margaret.

;) to Jay

Comment

thankyou for that frazzled. i tried to accomodate all the different spellings with a search but timed out. now i know the spelling used, i can find a birth quickly.

alan, thanx for that. it is an interesting name.

Comment

http://www.one-name.org/profiles/salkeld.html One Name Study

Hi Allan, I went to school with Salkeld's in Kirkdale, Liverpool.

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                        http://www.one-name.org/profiles/salkeld.html One Name Study

Hi Allan, I went to school with Salkeld's in Kirkdale, Liverpool.

Edna
                        Hiya Edna ...first Salkeld record in Liverpool on Lan-opc is 1776...and the father was a Mariner ...so they have been here a long time ...family of them here in Garston
                        allan
                        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Working...
                        X