Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to Mary Ann Arnott/Abel/Able ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Mary Ann Arnott/Abel/Able ?

Mary Ann Arnott Able bp Pocklington, East Yorks 8 Jul 1855, d/o Charlotte Able, single woman.

Mother Charlotte died in 1857 and Mary Ann was brought up by her grandmother Charlotte - nee Thackeray, late Abel and then (after a second marriage) Mrs James Arnott.

1861 census Mary was in Pocklington with James & Charlotte Arnott, recorded as M A A Abel, grand-daughter.

Grandma Charlotte died in 1869 and in 1871 Mary Ann was recorded in Pocklington as "servant of all work" - she was Mary A Arnott.

1881 she was a domestic servant in Pocklington, Mary A Arnot. (born c1857)

I can't find a likely death between 1881 & 1891, nor can I find a marriage ref which follows through as a possible.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

could she have married as abel

Lorraine

Comment

Thanks for looking, Lorraine.

Sadly the Mary Ann Abel & Simeon Kirby marriage is for a different lady.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Have been looking Jay but she is not wanting to be found at the moment.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for looking Julie

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I did find this though, age is a little out, and I haven't followed her to see if she appears anywhere else.

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 4055; Folio: 87; Page: 1.
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 04-01-13, 11:25. Reason: adding citation
            Julie

Comment

Thankyou for that Julie.
              I certainly haven't got this lady in my Abel database - however, I can't get a handle on her either before or after that census return.

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                Thankyou for that Julie.
                I certainly haven't got this lady in my Abel database - however, I can't get a handle on her either before or after that census return.

Jay
                no me neither... :( but it did strike me as a possible as she said she comes from Selby.. which is nearish to Pocklington.

I did look to see if I could see a death, but didn't see one in the Harrogate district
                Julie

Comment

Thanks for trying Julie.

A couple of Abel families moved to the Selby area, but quite some time after this Mary Ann was born.
                  I am wondering if she was widowed (i.e. without a husband) by 1901, rather than single because she'd never been married ???? which could explain no sighting of her in 1861 & 1871.
                  I couldn't find a death reg (there were 2 E Yorks ones in 1911, but they are for different ladies) nor a marriage.

Ah well, I started off with one mystery and now I've got two! ;D

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

oops sorry Jay.. I didn't mean to cause you more problems.. I suppose you have checked Pocklingtons prs? are they at Borthwick? I thought praps I had read it somewhere.. might be that MAAA died but it didnt make it to the GRO?

I should add that I also looked abroad but couldn't see anything that even looked remotely like it
                    Last edited by Darksecretz; 04-01-13, 21:01.
                    Julie

Comment

Thanks Julie - have full Abel/Abell/Able extracts from all Pocklington PR and there's no record of her marriage or burial.
                      If she continued to use the "adopted" surname Arnet(t)/Arnot(t) however, I could have been unaware of the name at the time of the search and missed it. There were quite a lot of Arnotts around East Yorks.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                      X