Can anyone help with Australian research? SOLVED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help with Australian research? SOLVED

In the 1950's C*** Hart emigrated from Kent to Australia with his wife G*** b 1921, and his 3 daughters b 1942, 1947, and 1950. They then had a son b 1960. I believe that his wife, G*** died in 2006. I have this information in my notes but I forget the source (yes I know, I know). At the time I did not think they were very relevant to my research but recently I have discovered that this family may hold the key to solving a mystery which has plagued me for many years. Is there any way of finding a way to contact any of them?

EDIT: Sorry, but you've forgotten that we don't post living names in the open forum. Hopefully I've left enough for people to be able to work out if it's worth them sending you a PM with offers of help. - Christine in Herts
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 06-01-13, 13:14.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Have you tried the NLA Trove Newspaper website?

Does your library give access to any further newspaper resources?

Both FMP.com and Ancestry.au or .com have Australian resources.

It would be worth having a look at the FTF Reference Library's Australia pages to see if you can get any research ideas from there?

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 02-01-13, 22:36.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Australia is very mindful of everyone's privacy and you cannot access many records later than the 1950s.

National Archives have indexes to passengers arriving go up to 1950, NSW marriage indexes up to 1962 and other states vary.

The best on-line information I can suggest is
      The Ryerson Index - index to death and other related newspaper items up to 2011/2. If you find that a name you are interested in had a death notice, you can ask the lovely Ryerson volunteers to provide you with a full transcript which might include married names for daughters.

Ancestry has indexed up to 1980 All Australian Electoral Rolls, and I think they would have qualified to be included. That would give you addresses current in 1980 (I know its a LONG time ago now). You can also access the current electoral roll (on-line to check your own enrolment) or via terminal at the Electoral Office. I was able to check my parents and siblings current enrolments as I knew their current addresses, so it works a bit wider than they say.

You could also try facebook and friendsreunited (I found a cousin in England just from knowing where his daughter was born - I figured he still lived there) and also whitepages.com.au.

I will PM you for more information
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

You can easily find the passenger list on Ancestry or FMP: they emigrated to Melbourne in 1951.

You're correct that the mother Gladys May Hart died in 2006; you can find the death notice here:

Find death notices, funeral notices, obituaries and legal/probate notices in Australian newspapers.

and burial (or rather cremation) at Springvale Cemetery:

Gladys and her husband are listed on the electoral rolls in Altona, a suburb of Melbourne, from 1954 to 1968. The next online electoral roll is in 1972, but only Gladys is listed, at the same address.

There's a possible hit on the Victoria BMD site for a death for him in 1970:

I haven't found any of the daughters on the electoral rolls, so they probably married before reaching the age of 21. The Victoria BMD site only has marriages up to 60 years ago. If you have their middle names (it only gives the middle initial on the passenger list), you could try searching for them on the electoral rolls on Ancestry with just Christian names.

You could ask the Ryerson index for the full death notice for Gladys that appeared in the newspaper, which may contain the daughters' surnames; click on "Requesting a lookup":

An index to death and funeral notices, and other death-type information, published in Australian newspapers from 1803 to the present

Alternatively you could get the father's death cert (if it's the correct death) through the BMD site: Australian death certs usually list the names of the deceased's children. However, they don't always give the children's surnames.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 05-01-13, 14:58.

Comment

Thanks all of you. I have been successful and this thread can be closed.
          People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
          Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Working...
          X