Why does Ancestry do that?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does Ancestry do that?

Has anyone figured out why, when you're saving a census to an individual, Ancestry sometimes offers the option of ticking and saving the census to other family members ... and sometimes Ancestry doesn't offer you that option?

I can find no rhyme nor reason, and am forever wondering why this happens. It would be nice to always have the option.

It never seems to allow you to add the family in 1841, but the others usually work for me
    Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Ancestry won't allow you to automatically add the image to other family members for the 1841 census as no relationships are shown in that census so it can't work out who is who! It also seems to omit any household members where the nature of the relationship is not clear from the census record. On the whole I do find it a useful tool though

Comment

I must be doing something wrong then. When I try to say it to all the family it ends up giving them the same age and position as the person I first searched for i.e. 45 Head of house for all the children etc. I have to go through and delete it all. Now I keep going in to the census again and clicking on each individual name I want to save first. It's so time consuming.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Several Canadian censuses do not include relationships, so ancestry won't save the family. Ancestry also doesn't save if there's no parent in the group being saved. And, if ancestry thinks the parameters are too different, it won't offer a match.

Comment

I have found if when I try to add a census record on my ancestry tree if i dont go to the person on the census I have looked for then it will add the wrong ages as it starts from the person who is at the top ? if you see what I mean? I do love the new add census option it works brilliantly as long as you make sure where it says different person and it isnt you tick the matching one.

Comment

Thanks all. That helps. I hadn't noted the England '41 in particular. The Canadian census certainly seem less predictable, and it makes sense the option wouldn't be offered if there aren't a family identified. I had thought Ancestry may have made a change, but I now see the change was that I've been concentrating on an elusive Ontario branch this winter and not my English ancestors.

Comment

Working...
              X