John Goodall 1856 - ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Goodall 1856 - ?

Please can anyone help me with finding a bit more about this man. He is not a direct ancestor but does link in to my Great Grandfather and I am a little intrigued as to what happened to him.

John Goodall was born in Marske (by Sea)in approx. 1856.
    Son of George Goodall and Elizabeth Goodall
    In 1861 they are living in Bishop Auckland, George a County Constable
    1871 (thanks to help on here) found. George and Elizabeth run a pub in Bishop Auckland.
    After his parents death, in 1872 and 1877, I found John Goodall in 1881 census unmarried and living in Bishop Auckland. He is an accountant, has a housekeeper who has her sister visiting.
    John appears to go missing in 1891 and then I found him again in 1901 living in Southampton, a dock worker who appears to have a property where it appears he takes in borders.

His mother married my Great Grandfather, taking 14 years off her actual age, GGF was only a couple of years older than John, his stepson.

My GGF was an accountant at this time and I wonder if he found work for John or whether he met John's mother and his future wife via work. However with background details of what was going on at the time, I think the former is more likely.

My request is can anyone find John in 1891 and 1911 census. I cannot find a death for him either. So I wonder, if like his stepfamily he went to sea or emigrated.

I have gone around and around with him and am now word and information blind and wondered if anyone may be able to help.

Thank you
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Seems a bit odd to go from accountant to dock worker - even if he did own a property!

Margaret

Comment

Yes it does to me too.

His fathers probate record shows effects of less than £100.

However my G,Grandfather, John Goodalls stepfather, came from a more affluent background, of which I still haven't found. He was estranged from his family and I have a feeling that this occurred around this time.

I have found newspaper articles re debts and misuse of funds. He was an accountant/clerk at various times between 1875 and 1881, (my GGF rather than John, which is why I think he may have been involved in finding John work.

GGF remarried in 1881 and turned his life around over the years, although I just feel there was still some jiggery pockery going on in the background. He was certainly involved in various career paths of his own son John.

John Goodall feels somewhat like that son, with various career paths including manual work, white collar work and the sea and eventual emigration. Which is why I wonder if John Goodall could have been at sea or emigrated.
      Last edited by bubblebelle; 02-01-13, 16:01. Reason: clatification and correcting date
      Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
        Seems a bit odd to go from accountant to dock worker - even if he did own a property!

Margaret
        and to go to a "slum" http://www.plimsoll.org/Resources/SC...vices/2304.asp

There is a john goodall in 1911 sailing out of southampton to new york ?
        Lorraine

Comment

Thank you for the photo loltel.

I hope the above may help re his background. I think have seen that one but there is nothing tangible to prove is is him. I will double check. Thank you
          Bubblebelle x

Comment

this is him in 1881

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 4914; Folio: 17; Page: 28; GSU roll: 1342182

and 1901

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 1057; Folio: 46; Page: 25.
            (There are 10 people living there)
            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Just revisiting some of my loose ends, I have returned to John, I think it unlikely that there may be any descendants but add this in case anybody is searching for him in the future.

I have found a court document for John Goodall of Marske, so it is definitely him. He is charged for drunk and riotous behaviour and is imprisoned for 10 days. This perhaps help explain the decline in his circumstances. It also fuels many of the thoughts I have about my G.Grandfather.

I am now searching british newspapers and I have found several incidents of similar behaviour for a John Goodall in the areas that he lived, but I am unsure as in 1900's he would have been in his 40's but the reports indicate a young man.

However I have still been unable to find him in 1891 and 1911, even broadening the search to inmates.
              Bubblebelle x

Comment

could he have been John Fieldhouse Goodall ?

Comment

No, I don't think so Val. There are a lot of Goodalls around the Yorkshire area and I have followed many of them in the search.

In the 1901 census it states that John is still single, which believe me I know that what you see is not always true, if I recall I found most of the possibles married and in later censuses.
                  Bubblebelle x

Comment

okay will have another look

Comment

Honestly Val don't worry too much, he is no relation really just the stepson of my GGrandfather but they were of a similar age and I would think perhaps 'drinking buddies'.
                      I remembered that Margaret had kindly shared a photo of King St, so I thought in case anyone in the future was searching I would update the thread.
                      Obviously it would be great if we could find him, but it is not the end of the world, at the moment I am using far to much distraction rather than concentrating on house move.
                      Many thanks though.
                      Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                      X