Crew lists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crew lists

Still looking for my great grandfather who according to the Scottish census came from Normandy France. As he was illiterate I don't have his correct name only what some official wrote down i.e. Birdwisa.
    I know he sailed with the Allan Line from Glasgow in the early 1900's and have the names of a couple of ships. Is there anywhere I can find crew lists to see if there is a similar name?

Are you related to J Gibb who has this tree

Consultez la généalogie réalisée par John Gibb (jgibb10) et découvrez les origines de sa famille.

don`t laugh - but say Budweiser with a french acsent = Birdwisa ???
    allan
    Last edited by garstonite; 01-01-13, 20:52.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Having had a good luck at google - why would you not think Birdwisa to be the correct spelling ....?? there seems to be quite a few with this surname ...allan
      Last edited by garstonite; 01-01-13, 20:58.
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thanks for the replies. That's me on Geneanet, used it to try and find him. Did not realise I had put a tree on there! There a a few Birdwisa's out there, all the UK ones are descendants of his. Some went to the US and Canada but changed the a to e to make it Birdwise.

Comment

You may get some pointers where to look in here

Lorraine

Comment

There are some crew lists on FMP, so worth a look. You need the Official Numbers of the ships really to find out where crew lists might be held. What were the ships?
            The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
            Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

http://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/rocrewlists.html not sure if this will be of help in your research but worth a look but also take a look at Cyndys list as there is lots of valuable sites to be found there

Edna

http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-3.html
              http://www.angelfire.com/de/BobSanders/CLIP.html
              Last edited by clematised; 02-01-13, 23:23.

Comment

Thanks very much for the links, will have a look and see what I can find.
                I have his seamans book (Continuous Certificate of Discharge) No. 162967. It gives his name as Augustus Julian Birdwisa, yob 1850, pob Toronto!!?? Where the Toronto comes from I have no idea as on the Scottish census it states France & Normandy, and this is the oral tradition in the family. He has also signed the CCoD, its possible he learned to write later on in life but this is the only evidence of it.
                The ships covered by this CCoD are;
                1.Huronian ship number 113960 S, 29/06/1901 Glasgow, Bosun, discharge Glasgow 28/07/1901, description of voyage Montreal, Signature of master J. Brodie.
                2. Huronian ship number 113960 S, 28/08/1901 Glasgow, Bosun, discharge Greenock 17/01/1902, description of voyage Canada Africa ?Americas?, Signature of master J. Brodie.
                3. Corean ship number 84312 S, 17/04/1905 Glasgow, Bosun's Mate, discharge Glasgow 22/05/1905, description of voyage Boston, Signature of master A. ?J? Peters?
                4. Corean ship number 84312 S, 25/05/1905 Glasgow, Bosun's Mate, discharge Glasgow 27/06/1905, description of voyage Boston, Signature of master M.A.Milne
                5. Ionian ship number 113989 S, 01/07/1905 Glasgow, Bosun's Mate, discharge Glasgow 28/07/1905, description of voyage Montreal, Signature of master ??????

He was obviously at sea before this time, but this is the only CCoD I have.

Comment

see the huronian was lost along with captain.

the original documents for the loss may contain crew lists etc.

there is a list of crew at the bottom but you man does not seem to be a survivor or indeed onboard that voyage
                  Last edited by loltel; 03-01-13, 14:22.
                  Lorraine

Comment

Try searching the National Archives online Catalogue, just using the Official number as the search term and BT as the series to search. Also the Newfoundland Maritime History Archive. For example, there's this for the Huronian

The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X