Stray from 1911 Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stray from 1911 Census

I have an unknown daughter in a Census record for 1911. Is anyone looking for an Emily, born around 1900, in Abberley, Worcestershire, they can't find in 1911 or thinks they have found their Emily, but with an unexpected surname and with a different family? Hopefully, we can solve two puzzles.

Hi Anne, welcome to the Forum.
    It might be useful if you could give a bit more information, such as the full name and census you are referring to. It's unlikely that someone will be able to make a connection with the limited info you have given.
    Elaine

Comment

Are we talking about the Emily Hooper born 1901 - the Emily Mills born 1898 or the Emily Morris born 1903 Anne?
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Sorry, Elaine, I'm new to this forum. Hi Chrissie, it is the Emily Hooper I have found, but I can't find birth, marriage or death for her.

Comment

I thought that might be the one Anne. The parents say married 11 years and Emily 10 years old but I have been looking for a marriage in case it was actually after she was born and Emily registered under mother maiden name.
          Do you know who her parents should be?

Comment

No problem Anne - like Chrissie I was trying to find out which Emily you were talking about.

Why do you think that Emily is not the daughter of Thomas & Elizabeth. The census says they have had 5 children and there are 5 shown on the census.
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
              I thought that might be the one Anne. The parents say married 11 years and Emily 10 years old but I have been looking for a marriage in case it was actually after she was born and Emily registered under mother maiden name.
              I was thinking along those lines Chrissie, but the parents seem to be together in the 1901 census with no sign of Emily.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

RG13; Piece: 2795; Folio: 20; Page: 31
              Elaine

Comment

They are together in 1901 without Emily, so probably not born yet.
                Her birth reg should be Martley but I can't see her on free BMD.

Comment

Snap Elaine

Comment

Not having much luck finding anything. There is a female Hooper registered in the Bromsgrove registration district (1901 4th qtr) but I would agree with Chrissie that the registration would have been Martley if she was born in Astley, Stourport.
                    Elaine

Comment

Thanks, to you both for your ideas. I have spoken in the past to the daughter and granddaughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (nee Taylor) and neither can remember a daughter called Emily. I noted the count of children to the marriage, but I also know that Elizabeth did not have a child before her marriage to Thomas. I was wondering if Emily was perhaps informally adopted, as I believe formal adoption did not begin until 1927. I was hoping she would be missing from someone else's tree for the 1911 Census and we could do a match. I knew a few of her contemporaries and none of them mentioned her as part of the family in any way.

Comment

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                          Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
                          Oops sorry am fiddling with things ......sorry
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                            Oops sorry am fiddling with things ......sorry
                            Playing with a Christmas present??

Margaret

Comment

Did Thomas and Elizabeth have any more children after Mary E Hooper in Martley Sept 1911 Anne? I'm trying to establish whether they moved to another county at any point.

Comment

Yes, Chrissie, they had one more boy, but, although they moved several times, they continued to live in the Stourport/Kidderminster areas of Worcestershire for the rest of their lives. I have found 11 girls with Emily in their name registered in Abberley between March 1900 and June 1901, but there appears to be relevant marriages prior to each birth and they appear to be accounted for in 1911 Census.

Comment

Working...
                                X