metropolitan district school meeting minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• metropolitan district school meeting minutes

My task for 2013 is to try to establish some more details about my great grandmother Maria BUTLER c 1870 Woolwich and her brother Charles BUTLERc1867 Woolwich. Both were admitted to the Metropolitan district school 25th January 1878. I have seen the admission register and it states them as illegitimateBUT who or where were they living until that time. I feel the only clues may be in the minutes from the meeting when they were admitted to the school. Not sure where those minutes records would be kept. Anybody able to help please?

There is an 1871 census which has a Maria born c1870 and a Charles b c1867 - living with parents William & Maria.
    They seem to be living in a caravan on Hampstead Heath, although they seem to be crossed out on the census page so perhaps they had moved on!
    Have you discounted these?

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

RG10; Piece: 184; Folio: 56; Page: 70
    Elaine

Comment

Re your entry in the Admissions register - is this from the LMA records on Ancestry, if so can you give a link.
      Elaine

Comment

This is the bit that is also a bit intrigueing as this family that is crossed out would seem to fit the bill nicely as when Maria gets married she puts her father as William but this family crossed out is put on the census in another place and that Maria married a Shurety as she is with her family under her married name in 1891 census (if my memory is correct). I dont have a link for the registers. I think it may be the board of guardians meetings that I need to find the reason for them being admitted.

Comment

it was from ancestry that I got the registers.

Comment

There is an entry in the Poor Law records on Ancestry in the Register of Children for the South Metropolitan School District Register.
            It shows that Charles and Maria were admitted on 25 January 1878.
            It appears that Charles was discharged on 13th June 1882 and Maria on 22nd June 1885 - so it seems unlikely that the family in the 1881 census is yours.

Think this may have been the entry you found as it says both children were illegitimate.

I would think you would need to follow this up at the London Metropolitan Archives - but also keep an eye on Ancestry because they still seem to be adding new LMA records from time to time.
            Elaine

Comment

I cant access that link but I kknow I did follow it up and found where they went into service and that Charles was sent back to the school as he wasnt up to scratch!!!
              I have e-mailed LMA to see what they can offer.

Comment

I wonder what she did between her discharge in 1885 until the time she married 1890 Northfleet Kent. I also wonde what happened to Charles. I did try to trace his movements i.e. marriage or death etc but with such a common name its difficult. Couldnt seem to find him on later census either. Should be born Woolwich on census about 1867

Comment

The next page on the entry in Ancestry shows:
                  Charles was "sent on trial to Mr. I (?) C Gees, cowkeeper and dairyman, 28 Pleasant Place, West Square Lambeth"
                  and Maria "to service Mrs. Gawthorpe, Heston Lodge, Wellesley Road, Gunnersbury (?) "
                  Elaine

Comment

yes thats what I found not sure about Gunnersbury

Comment

I contacted greenwich heritage centre and they said that they were admitted from East Woolwich rather than west woolwich. Wonder if there are any parish registers available for that area that might shed some light. Or if there is a workhouse in the 1871 census in east woolwcih where they may have been hiding as I have failed to find them on 1871 census.

Comment

1871 census

having looked at many angles of this one I am wondering if there is a new approach to finding Maria BUTLER c1870 Woolwich and brother Charles c 1867 Woolwich. I have been in contact with the greenwich heritage centre and they can do a search of the parish records for a search fee but they gave me a couple more clues. they seems to think that Maria and Charles were admitted to the metropolitan district school from a workhouse so is there a workhouse not transcribed on the 1871 census possibly in the East of Woolwich where these 2 children could have been hiding?
                        Or is there mother listed in a workhouse but not the children. Does anybody have a search engine that may flush them out?

'On the Sutton school admission record it shows that the children were admitted chargeable to East Woolwich parish as opposed to the West'.

Comment

I have moved this over to Family History Research Gloryer.. maybe some of our London members can help.
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

just noticed that post was the 20 Jan ?? wonder if Gloryer has found them since ???

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              just noticed that post was the 20 Jan ?? wonder if Gloryer has found them since ???
                              not sure Val.. i'll check when she was last online

edit: she was last online 28th March @ 03.03am, didn't she say something about a holiday?
                              Last edited by Darksecretz; 13-04-13, 20:55.
                              Julie

Comment

It seems to be connected to - or a duplicate - to this thread in Research Requests
                                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                  It seems to be connected to - or a duplicate - to this thread in Research Requests
                                  http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...t=maria+butler
                                  yep I moved it from Research Requests earlier Elaine..
                                  Julie

Comment

Might be a good idea to merge them, as the information overlaps!
                                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                      Might be a good idea to merge them, as the information overlaps!
                                      sorted!
                                      Julie

Comment

Just for info, Wellesley Road, Gunnersbury is in Chiswick, West London. There are several references to Gunnersbury around the area (a train station, a large park, a school), but if you are searching on Google for the road, it still exists and it is in W4
                                        Good luck
                                        Darannon

Comment

Working...
                                        X