Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• british exp forces info please

My mechams again sorry..

I have lily mecham 1891 applying for a marriage all/bond in aug 1918 between her and william edward short (1879 edmonton) of armed forces BEF

then there marriage is in sept 1918

i have searched the military records for william short but nothing appears likely, but if he was part of the BEF would he have been in france all the way through ww1 ????, and where can i search for him

cant trace him in 1911

I know they emigrated to canada but i dont know when, i remember them arriving back in england in 1966 for my grand parents golden wedding but other than that i know nothing.
    Lorraine

OMG i truly could cry - i have just googled and found this

Notes and summariesTitle from content of the fonds.Fonds consists of material relating to the wartime activities and experiences of William E. Short, a soldier with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in France during WWI. It contains two ms. diaries kept by William Edward Short from 1915 to 1919, as well as two transcripts (ts., computer output).Donated by Mrs. Lillian Daniel in 1992. CaOWtUWilliam E. Short was born in Tottenham, England on Dec. 18, 1878. He enlisted with the 34th Battalion of the Canadian Expeditionary Force in Jan., 1915 in Galt, Ont., trained in Canada and England, and arrived in France on Aug. 3, 1915, where he was attached to the 1st Battalion. He was promoted to Corporal on Oct. 11, 1916 and to acting Company Quartermaster Sergeant on Feb. 1, 1917. William Short married Lilly Meechum August 7, 1918, while on leave in London, England, a fact not noted in his diary. W.E. Short returned to Canada in May, 1919. (Source: attestation papers, diary contents.).

these docs are held at the university of waterloo, ontario, canada but i cant figure out who to contact about them
    Last edited by loltel; 31-12-12, 22:47.
    Lorraine

Comment

Contact details for the library

Contact a librarian by subject Call us during library hours 519-888-4567 ext. 84600 Other key library phone numbers Email us your questions and comments Browse questions and answers Need more help? Need more help using the Library and its resources? Your librarian is also available by email.

These look like the back and front pages of his CEF attestation papers and details of how to obtain copies of the rest of his papers

Jackie

Comment

please advise me if you can, how do i get to see this in full.......

oh...HAPPY NEW YEAR, may you all be healthy, happy and prosperous

lorraine
        Lorraine

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
          Contact details for the library

Contact a librarian by subject Call us during library hours 519-888-4567 ext. 84600 Other key library phone numbers Email us your questions and comments Browse questions and answers Need more help? Need more help using the Library and its resources? Your librarian is also available by email.

These look like the back and front pages of his CEF attestation papers and details of how to obtain copies of the rest of his papers

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...ok40ipkrichdq3
          Thanks Jackie your a star

Been digging today but all the roads lead to the same info, I am trying to find a link to the "donor" of these diaries...lillian daniel in 1992.

I have established they had a child Lilian in 1921 and lily and lilian are bound for quebec in 1923, suppose william finshed his service back in canada and they went then to join him.
          Lorraine

Comment

Originally posted by loltel View Post
            please advise me if you can, how do i get to see this in full.......

oh...HAPPY NEW YEAR, may you all be healthy, happy and prosperous

lorraine
            Contact the library - they should be able to arrange to get a copy to you - they will charge a fee though almost certainly.
            Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
            Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thanks Anthony

I shall try the live chat link with the library that jackie provided tomorrow and see what they come up with, just hope that there charges are not extortionate.

They may even know who lilian the donor was, i am assuming it is daughter lilian passing on her fathers papers ???
              Lorraine

Comment

Originally posted by loltel View Post
                I shall try the live chat link with the library that jackie provided tomorrow and see what they come up with, just hope that there charges are not extortionate.
                Just remember that they are about 5 hours behind UK.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

i know UJ, i have been testing the live chat link every hour like a demented banshee, but its still not working yet........
                  Lorraine

Comment

Good Luck! It looks like you're almost on the way!

Christine
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

oh oh ohhhh pooh !!!!!!

They dont open for research enquiries until the 7th January.
                      Lorraine

Comment

Working...
                      X