Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I clutching at straws?

This is about a side-branch in my tree.

James CHRISTMAS, bap 2 Sep 1838, Lymington Parish Church (Hants) became a policeman - eventually served in the City Police from 1861, and retired by 1891. In 1881, he's here:
    RG11/585 fo 108 p 15: age 42, City police constable, 16D Block Peabody Buildings, Lambeth
    with his wife and family.

I've identified five children:
    James Wm CHRISTMAS 1869-1937
    Charles Foster CHRISTMAS 1870-1929
    Anne Dupre(e) CHRISTMAS 1871-1934
    Arthur Henry ("Harry") CHRISTMAS 1873-(after 1911)
    Edwin Watson CHRISTMAS 1876-1880

In 1911, although his wife, Anne (née WATSON) had died, he included the children information: 5-4-1
    That all adds up, but there are these two very similar newspaper articles (I've just transcribed the one)...

Does this child belong to the same family?

MISSING .
    Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper (London, England), Sunday, September 9, 1883; Issue 2129
    MYSTERIOUS DISAPPEARANCES .
    Reynolds's Newspaper (London, England), Sunday, September 9, 1883; Issue 1726.

Yesterday, at Southwark, Mrs CHRISTMAS, wife of James CHRISTMAS, of 21, O Block, Peabody's-buildings, Duke-street, Stamford-street, waited upon his worship, in great distress, stating that her child, Ada CHRISTMAS, two years and a half old, had been missed since Tuesday morning last. The child went down to play in the yard about eleven o'clock, and a quarter of an hour afterwards she missed her, and had not since been able to find her. The child was of fair complexion, dressed in a dark green plaid frock, light ulster (black hood lined with black satin), speckled straw hat with black crape on it, a white shawl around her neck; some part of her hair was closely cut away to the remains of a sore head.
    wording per Reynolds, but Lloyds very similar

I should say that I can't spot the birth registration - or haven't yet, anyway. I think she'd have been born just late enough to have missed the 1881 census.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 31-12-12, 19:23.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

On Ancestry, I can see an 1881 baptism for an Ada Annie CHRISTMAS, d/o James Charles and Annie Eliza. It's in the LMA records, but I can't look to see if it's a possible, even tho' I'd thought that James and Anne didn't have middle names.

She probably corresponds to the Ada Ann CHRISTMAS, whose birth was registered in 1881q2 in Holborn. That doesn't seem the right District for a birth reg for a family in the Peabody Buildings in Southwark. On the other hand, if she had been born at the beginning of Q2 in 1881, she would be about 2-&-a-half by early Sept 1883.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 31-12-12, 19:35.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is an Ada Ann Christmas - baptism - parents James & Annie

with a corresponding birth registration in 1881 2nd qtr. Holborn.

Could this be the Ada Christmas mentioned in the newspaper cutting.
      Elaine

Comment

Snap ..
        Elaine

Comment

The Ada Ann Christmas baptism in 1881 shows father James' occupation as warehouseman so presumably not your policeman James.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

There is another Christmas child baptism on this page on Ancestry - parents James & Annie - James occ. workehouse man
            address Peabody buildings

I don't think the Christmas family in the newspaper article is your one.
            Elaine

Comment

Thank you! Then I'll leave her in peace. But a tragedy for that family. I wonder if they ever found out what happened to Ada.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                Think she must have been found - there is a possible marriage for her in 1900
                http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&recoff=8+9+10
                Oh, good!

I can't look at the link (no current Ancestry sub), but I'll take our word for it.

Christine

Comment

Very restrained of her parents to resist calling her Merry!
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                    Very restrained of her parents to resist calling her Merry!
                    There's more than one Mary CHRISTMAS (sometimes it's a middle name) in my tree! And (I think I've mentioned this before) I'm a descendant of the second (or, probably, third) marriage of William CHRISTMAS (aged about 55) - in 1802 to Hannah FROST (aged 24).

Christine

Comment

Working...
                    X