Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlotte Barrett ...

I'd appreciate some help please as I'd like to know;
    • what happened to Charlotte after 1841? (there are some likely marriages between 1841-1851 but not been able to validate any of them yet / there don't seem to be any deaths in the appropriate area)
    • did Charlotte have any siblings?

Thanks
    Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 19-07-13, 14:29.
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Is Sarah Barrett the one who was christened at St Nicholas Yarmouth in 1802, whose father was Thomas Barrett and mother Mary Wollard?
    p.s. If she is there are several children for them.
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 31-12-12, 11:50.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Fring was in Docking Registration District, and there is a marriage of Charlotte Barrett to a John Wicks registered in Docking in Q3 1843, there is a Charlotte Wicks (b 1803, Fring) living as a widow in Fring in 1851 (Class: HO107; Piece: 1827; Folio: 441; Page: 4; GSU roll: 207482.).

I think I would start with accessing that marriage record (via parish records or by certificate) to see if the father's details match Thomas.
      Last edited by AntonyM; 31-12-12, 11:52.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Sorry, scrap that, I see that mother was Mary Spooner - https://familysearch.org/search/reco...ion_id=1473014

Sarah and Charlotte are the only ones coming up with Fring and parents.
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 31-12-12, 11:54.

Comment

There is a death of a Charlotte Wicks in Docking - aged 77 in June 1880 ref 4b 213

Comment

Here shi is in 1871 - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=8455390

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post
              b1803 Fring, Norfolk / parents Thomas b1755 and Mary b1761 (married 1794)

I've found the above family in the 1841 census living in Fring ..RG No. HO107, piece 782, book/folio 6, page 6
              I presume that Thomas and Mary died between 1841-1851 as I can't find them (there are several deaths that could be them). Mary is not the widow residing at the Union Workhouse in 1851.

I'd appreciate some help please as I'd like to know;
              • what happened to Charlotte after 1841? (there are some likely marriages between 1841-1851 but not been able to validate any of them yet / there don't seem to be any deaths in the appropriate area)

• did Charlotte have any siblings? (I've found her sister Sarah b1801 Fring)

Thanks
              I recognised your username and looked at the number of your posts and was baffled that I might have to point out that the ages in the 1841 census were usually rounded down for adults, so you'd need a range of dates for the YoBs... but, after looking at the image, I can see why you've been so specific about the YoBs for them all: that enumerator obviously decided it was easier to put the actual ages than waste time rounding them!

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 31-12-12, 12:05.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

It looks as though John Wicks died in Docking Dec 1848 ref 13 38

Comment

How many variants and mistranscriptions have you allowed for? BARRETT lends itself to lots of such alternatives.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I can't find a connection between the Sarah Utton aged 11 that is living with Charlotte in 1851. In 1841 she appears to be with her parents in Fring - William Utton and Mary with children and a 91 year old named Sarah Hamerton, who is possibly mother in law.

Comment

FreeReg has a Fring marriage 7 Jan 1831, between William UTTON and Mary HAMERTON, with witnesses Robert HAMERTON and Ann TOWNSHEND.

Christine

Comment

Hi
                        I don't know if this link will work but it should take you to the 1843 Bishop's transcripts for Fringe. There are no marriages but there is a burial for Thomas Barrett age 87 on 12th January.
                        Moggie

Comment

Here they are in 1841 - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=8594927

Comment

Burial of John Wicks.

Moggie

Comment

Burial for Mary Barrett

Moggie

Comment

I think Charlotte may also have had a brother.
                                Search your ancestry with FreeREG. FreeREG provides free online access to transcriptions of birth, marriage and burial records from Church of England and Church of Scotland registers. You can also use FreeREG to discover: non-Conformist records from England, Scotland and Wales, Municipal Cemetary records, Memorial records and documents relating to life events out of country, at sea and in the military.

Moggie

Comment

Wow .... thank you all so much, you have all been very busy. ;D

The internet on my computer locked/froze earlier otherwise I would have responded to any queries.

Thanks for the links, I'm going to access them now, although I won't be able to get into the Anc'y ones as my sub has expired.
                                  Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 19-07-13, 14:30.

Comment

Thanks again to everyone for all the interesting / worthwhile information you've found about this family.

Thanks also for reacquainting me with FreeReg ... just found transcript of Thomas and Mary's marriage that confirmed (as suspected) that Thomas was a widower. I did wonder if Mary was a widow, but she was single so now know for certain her maiden name.

Comment

i find it interesting they are quite old parents. and married 1794, but no child till 1801?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                        i find it interesting they are quite old parents. and married 1794, but no child till 1801?
                                        Hi
                                        There was a son born 1795 see my post #16. I should have put the date in the post.

Moggie

Comment

Working...
                                        X